Vibrant colors make for a glamorous statement in your home; however, a bold palette can be a bit daunting! We turned to celebrated interior designer Jamie Drake of Drake Design Associates, who shared some secrets behind incorporating lively hues into your home.
Charming and wickedly funny, Jamie is renowned for his vivacious color sense, his eye for the unique, and his ability to easily create elegant traditional and modern spaces. With over thirty years of experience, his work has been published in Elle Décor, Architectural Digest, French Architectural Digest, House Beautiful, Veranda, The New York Times, and many more. With an extraordinary roster of clients (including Madonna and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg), this Parsons graduate continues to be an important figure in the design world. Are you ready to be inspired? Here are Jamie’s 5 invaluable tips on using bold colors in a beautiful and sophisticated way.
1. Use a single color in a range of textural mutations throughout a room, so that it appears as a chromatic scale from pastel hues to full saturation.
2. Use shots of color in an otherwise more neutral room.
3. Use one dominant color and one secondary color, and then throw in a third color for spice!
4. Find a departure point for your color palette. This may be a rug, a piece of art, or anything that gives you inspiration.
5. Don’t be shy with color! Find a palette that speaks your personality and suits your preferences.
Written by Mitchell Walters of DearMarguerite
Images via Jamie Drake