All images from Sweet Thing Blog
Our design contributor and photographer Jessie Webster recently shared this fun DIY tutorial with Teissia of Firefly Events on how to make a fringe balloons. Of course, we were totally inspired by this and are eager to try them ourselves! They are perfect for an engagement shoot, weddings, or a festive party!
-30″-36″ Round Balloons (get the balloons blown up at your local party store, just make sure they can fit in your car)
-Tissue Paper &/or Fabric in 3-4 different colors (The fabric should be lightweight so it doesn’t weigh the balloon down)
-Optional: Rosette (for the top)
1. Start by cutting your lace ribbon in a strip about 5′-6′ long. This will take the place of the ribbon holding the balloon.
2. Cut fabric into rectangles approximately 1′x1.5′. If you are using tissue paper there is no need to cut, just fold the sheets in half lengthwise.
3. Cut strips in the fabric/tissue paper leaving approximately 1.5″ on the top uncut.
4. Tie a piece of lace or ribbon around the center of the fringe.
5. Fold the fabric/tissue paper in half, so the ribbon is on the left side. Roll it up and then wrap the lace/ribbon around the top and tie it in a knot. Make sure to leave a few inches of ribbon free to attach to the balloon.
6. Tie your pieces of fringe onto the lace handle starting at the top. It looks best to vary the colors of the fringe. (Optional: Place a rosette at the top directly under the balloon)