One of our favorite shows from London Fashion Week Spring 2013 was Holly Fulton. The clothes were youthful and fresh with a retro vibe, but it was the beauty on the runway that really stood out to us. M.A.C. artist Andrew Gallimore was inspired by the California girl in Los Angeles in the ’50s with summer freckles and a sunblock-neon lip. The hair was also super cool with a messy, loose braids. While we adore this look and were eager to recreate it, we also realize that it’s not super practical for real life. We decided to try the look at home with a few tweaks to make it more wearable (even if it’s just a little!). We made the dramatic two-toned lip a bit more subtle, and we didn’t rat the hair as much. For help, we asked our friend and makeup artist Priscilla Francine to show us how to get this look!
1. Skip washing your hair to replicate this style, and spray your locks with a dry shampoo instead. We went a step further and even added some volumizing powder to the roots before teasing the hair. Exaggerate your side part for a fuller bang, and smooth everything over with a large (boar) bristle brush. Try: ORIBE Dry Texturizing Spray ($39); Big Sexy Hair Powder Play Volumizing and Texturizing Powder ($15.95)
2. Create a small braid on the opposite side of your part and secure with a clear elastic band.
3. Gather the remaining hair and loosely braid it before pulling the smaller braid over to create the look of a headband. Secure the smaller braid behind your ear with bobby pins. Ensure the braid’s start and finish is covered by pulling your hair over the ends.
4. The focus of this look is the lips, so use a sheer foundation to even out the skin. Apply a light amount of peachy-pink blush and highlighter to your cheeks. Lastly, fill in your brows with eyebrow powder, and define your lashes with some black mascara. Try: Benefit Buxom True Hue Blush in Breathless ($24); Nars Highlighting Blush in Albatross ($28); Bobbi Brown Dark Brow Kit ($45)
8. Grab some fab round sunnies and you have the perfect runway look for everyday! Try: DVF’s “Lais” Oversized Round Sunglasses ($150)
Holly Fulton images courtesy of Fashioning.com