We recently chatted with the beauty blogger behind Politics of Pretty, Kara Manos, about her must-have products for the cooler weather. Based in DC, Kara is subject to harsh winters, so she knows a thing or two about looking your best this time of year.
1. I suffer from extremely chapped lips in the winter. Before I smother my pout with lip balm, I like to indulge in a Sara Happ Lip Scrub in my favorite sweet Crème Brûlée flavor to exfoliate, moisturize, and…taste!
2. After trying a bevy of different BB creams, I’ve found that nothing gives me more coverage and a flawless finish in the winter than NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moistuizer. With a basic tinted moisturizer, I apply only where needed, but this is a product worth applying all over the face (it instantly improves skin tone!).
3. Whether I’m blowdrying, curling, or straightening my hair, Kerastase Reflection Chroma Thermique is essential. This protecting milk shields my tresses from the harmful effects of heat-styling, not to mention that it improves drying time!
4. In the summer time, I’m all about lotions with a gradual tan. However, in the winter, I can’t live without Kiehl’s Crème de Corps. This butter-like concoction instantly soothes dry skin and leaves my arms and legs feeling moisturized in the drying winter weather.
5. I tend to hibernate in the winter, but Clinique All About Eyes Serum De-Puffing Eye Massage is the perfect pick-me-up! Consider it a cup of coffee for your eyes (packed with caffeine, antioxidants, and soothing botanicals)—so ideal for those early wake-up calls!
6. Benefit Cosmetics Hervana Blush Powder is a year-round staple. This portable box o’ powder and mini brush packs quite the punch for just the right amount of color. I like to sweep this on the apples of my cheeks for a day look.
7. I have sensitive skin, so I’ve been a loyalist to Alchimie Forever’s ah-mazing skincare line. My must-have? The Alchimie Forever Gentle Cream Cleanser, which I religiously use in the morning and evening.
8. Nothing excites me more before a holiday party than breaking out my favorite lip pencils and lipsticks. Stila Long Wear Lip Color is a favorite of mine because it feels like a lipstick but goes on like a gloss. Seriously, I’ve applied this using my rearview mirror while driving—it’s that easy!
9. What’s the holiday season without some sparkle? I love the vintage-esque packaging for The Body Shop spritz-on Sparkler in Enchanting Gold. It has just the right amount of sparkle without any sticky lotion or oil-based ingredients.
10. I think I’ve always had a bit of Goldilocks syndrome when it comes to sampling different eyeliners (too thick, too runny, too dark), but I was pleasantly surprised by this drugstore buy. Not quite a pencil and not quite a liquid liner, Covergirl Liquiline Blast Eyeliner does double the duty. I like to apply short strokes from the inside out and smudge as needed before a night on the town.
Shop the story:
While you're here, why not check these out:
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox.