Instead of trying to fight the summer’s heat and humidity, embrace it! This season, it’s all about disheveled bohemian braids. From mini messy braids to pretty side-swept looks, you can easily achieve this natural ‘do with just a little bit of texture, some elastics and lots of teasing.
1. When it comes to a messy braid, it’s all about embracing the natural texture of your hair. If you have thin or stick-straight locks, you can always enhance the texture by adding some grit! Use a texture product like Bumble and Bumble Texture Hair (Un) Dressing Crème ($28) or dry shampoo spray.
2. For a messy side-swept braid, start braiding your hair from the back to the side. Once you get to the side where you want the braid to fall, tie it into a ponytail with a hair elastic.
3. Using a teasing brush or comb, tease the ponytail. Then, braid the teased hair.
4. Once you’re finished braiding, pull at various parts so it looks uneven and loose. If you have thicker hair, you can even pull out some pieces for a more natural look.
5. Cut the hair elastic from where you made the ponytail.
Written by Kara Manos of Politics of Pretty.