While we wish our cheeks were naturally flushed, it’s not always possible without the help of some blush (or a cocktail). Achieving that perfect rosy glow isn’t just about the product, it’s also about how you prep before application. From must-have products to our favorite blush formulas, we break down all the tools, tips and tricks you need for flushed cheeks.
1. First, start with a flawless complexion. Foundation will even out your skin tone and the blush will stay put longer. Image
2. Using a large kabuki brush, apply some bronzer in the shape of a 3 on each side of your face (forehead, cheeks and jawline). Image
3. Pick the right blush formula for your skin type. Powder blush like long-time favorite NARS in Orgasm ($29) works best and lasts longer for those with oily skin. If your skin is dry, cream blush offers a long-lasting and glowing finish. For a cream blush, we recommend Stila Cosmetics Convertible Color in Peony ($25).
4. Next, choose your tool. For powder blush, use a blush brush with tapered ends. We prefer Real Techniques blush brush ($8.99), which uses hand-cut, cruelty-free bristles. It will deposit the color where you apply it. Blend cream blush with your fingers or a wedge sponge.
5. Next, smile! It’s the oldest rule in the book, but it works. Apply blush to the apples of your cheeks (the area that is most full and high when you smile). Sweep back towards your hairline for a natural finish. Image
By Kara Manos of Politics of Pretty