Over the weekend our editorial director, Caitlin celebrated her birthday and her sister baked a fluffy champagne cake to celebrate! Once we saw a few pictures on Instagram we knew we had to share this indulgent recipe, which is perfect for special occasions. They omitted half of the champagne buttercream icing to try the “naked cake” trend, and kept it simple with a gold candle and a few sprigs of greenery.
Photos by Caitlin Moran.
Naked Champagne Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flower
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups champagne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans (or cut parchment paper to fit).
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder + salt. In a mixing bowl beat butter and sugar 3 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in flour mixture and champagne in three alternating additions, starting and ending with flour to prevent curdling.
- Pour batter into pans and bake 35 minutes or until a knife insterted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and then frost the middle and top layer only with Champagne Buttercream Frosting.
Champagne Buttercream Frosting
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter (room temp)
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup champagne
- 1/8 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl beat butter 1 minute. Gradually add the powdered sugar, champange, milk and vanilla and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
*Adapted from Booze Cakes.