Technically speaking, spring break season is a little “last month” — but for us post-grad working gals, all we have right now are the memories of Cancun in March! To keep us motivated, we’re planning a trip or two of our own before summer vacation season starts — where we’ll be taking a tote full of must-reads to relish. Here are our top 10 picks this season — and feel free to add your own in the comments!
1. Where’d You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple: Take a trip with 15-year-old Bee as she works to recover her missing mother. The quirky cover alone is sure to grab your attention!
2. If I Stay, by Gayle Forman: Told through the eyes of another teenage protagonist, this book takes a decidedly serious tone as it focuses on how 17-year-old Mia struggles through the aftermath of an accident.
3. The One & Only, by Emily Giffin: Emily Giffin is a long-standing favorite here at GG. Her novels always maintain that magical combination of romance, drama, comedy and suspense — and her latest is sure to hit the mark yet again!
4. One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez: There’s no better time to celebrate the life and words of this critically acclaimed author and winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature, who sadly passed away earlier this month.
5. Bread and Butter, by Michelle Wildgen: If you’re on the lookout for a lighter read, this is the book for you. It offers a behind-the-scenes peek at the restaurant biz and those who cater to us foodies!
6. The Opposite of Loneliness, by Marina Keegan: This poignant compilation of stories is based on a final essay written by Marina Keegan, who was killed in a car accident just five days after her graduation at age twenty-two.
7. The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt: Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, this novel is one we absolutely can’t wait to crack open!
8. The Invention of Wings, by Sue Monk Kidd: Told through the perspective of an urban slave and her young owner in 19th-century Charleston, this novel is sure to be nothing short of fascinating.
9. Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn: A based-on-the-book movie (with Ben Affleck!) is set to hit theaters this fall, so we’re making it a priority to finish this bestselling thriller!
10. 12 Years a Slave, by Solomon Northup and edited by Henry Louis Gates Jr.: The newest version of Northup’s harrowing memoir features an official movie tie-in (which recently won the best picture Oscar!).
Written by Carrie Waller of Dream Green DIY