There is perhaps no day in a woman’s life more important than her wedding day — especially when it comes to beauty. And because it may seem daunting to take charge of your makeup for the big day without consulting a professional, Claire from Ultimakeover is here to ensure that each and every bride feels her best!
“As a makeup artist, I always get asked about what products to use and how to best apply bridal makeup. Brides are becoming more independent — they’re really taking hold of their ‘getting ready’ process to save money and stay true to their own style at the same time. I know the pressure to not poke your eye out can be frightening, but with some practice and knowledge of the right products, achieving a gorgeous makeup look on your wedding day is incredibly doable!”
1. Remove all dirt and oil from skin by washing your face thoroughly with Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Cleansing Gel ($38).
2. Apply a hydrating moisturizer like Trilane Intensive Repair ($49.99) to skin to give it a smooth-looking surface.
3. Next, add face primer to create a flawless canvas for face makeup. A primer is going to fill in fine lines, diminish the appearance of redness and keep your makeup lasting all day long. It’s a very important step for the big day! MAC ‘Prep + Prime’ Natural Radiance Base ($40) is a great option.
4. Swipe an eyeshadow primer like NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base ($25) across your lids. This will act as a glue for eyeshadow and intensify its colors even more.
1. Choose a foundation with excellent coverage and no SPF to apply all over the skin — our favorite is Make Up Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation ($42).
2. Take care of any blemishes or dark circles still visible with a long-wearing concealer like MAC ‘Pro Longwear’ Concealer ($19).
3. Liquid makeup should be set so that it lasts. Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder ($35) is awesome because it works on any skin tone. Be sure to apply minimally under the eyes so that it doesn’t cake up!
1. Use Anastasia Brow Wiz ($21) to fill in brows. Use the shade closest to your hair color for a natural yet defined look.
2. Three eyeshadow colors to work with for the big day is plenty. Grab a Lorac PRO Palette ($42) and choose a light tone for the lid, a medium tone for the crease, and a dark tone to define the outer corners.
3. For definition, line eyes with a long-wearing black eyeliner like Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner ($24). Winging out the eyeliner gives the illusion of a lifted eye, which is very flattering.
4. Apply false lashes along the top of your lash line for a dramatic effect. Red Cherry #217 False Lashes ($9.89) are our favorites.
5. Dust a warm bronzer — we love Physicians Formula Multi-Colored Pressed Powder ($13.99) — along the slopes of the cheeks.
6. Cream blush is a gorgeous choice for the wedding day because it enhances the bride’s glow and stays on really well. Try NYX Cream Blush in “Tea Rose” ($5.99).
7. Use a lip product that won’t smudge. You want something long-wearing and neutral to complement the rest of the makeup. L’Oréal Infallible Never Fail Lip Gloss in “Barely Nude” ($9.99) is the perfect shade.
8. Set makeup with a finishing spray such as Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray ($14) to lock everything in place all day long.