Shopping for sunscreen is like looking for a new moisturizer, because knowing your skin type will help you determine whether or not to make the purchase! SPF is obviously the essential ingredient, but certain sun-tan lotions are better suited for specific complexions. From moisturizing lotions to oil-free formulas, we’ve rounded up our favorite drugstore sunscreens for dry, sensitive, oily and acne-prone skin.
If you have dry skin, choose a hydrating lotion or cream containing aloe or glycerin. (Sprays and gels will leave skin dry after repeated use.)
1. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 30 ($7.99)
2. L’Oreal Sublime Sun Sunscreen Oil, SPF 50+ ($11)
3. Banana Boat Protect & Hydrate Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 ($7.83)
If you have oily or acne-prone skin, stock up on oil-free lotions.
1. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen, SPF 60+ ($10.99)
2. Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer, SPF 30 ($11.04)
3. Coppertone Oil Free Faces Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30 ($8.19)
If you have sensitive skin, opt for hypoallergenic and fragrance-free formulas that contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. (Physical sunblocks are easier to wear and effectively deflect UVA and UVB rays.)
1. Yes to Carrots Nourishing Daily Facial Moisturizer, Fragrance Free, SPF 15 ($13.49)
2. Hawaiian Tropic Sensitive Skin Sunscreen, SPF 50 (container/prices vary)
3. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 70 ($9.99)
Written by Kara Manos of Politics of Pretty
Excited to see my favorite Neutrogena on the list! I always have several in my beach bag http://everydaystarlet.com/2014/06/whats-in-my-glamorous-starlet-beach-bag.html
Sensitive skin really needs sunscreen free of chemical sunscreens, irritants, and fragrance. Of the three choices offered, 1 contains fragrance, 2 contains chemical sunscreens and fragrance, and 3 contains chemical sunscreens and a sensitizing preservative. Look for formulas containing ONLY zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as active ingredients, and containing no fragrance.
Comments are closed.