We love comfort food as much as the next girl, but there’s also something to be said for combining the season’s best ingredients in a lighter way. This kale salad packs a flavorful punch thanks to roasted butternut squash and a tangy apple cider dressing. Crispy chickpeas serve as a fresh alternative to croutons!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 1 bunch of kale (washed with ribs removed)
- 1 can of chickpeas (rinsed & drained)
- 3 cups of peeled & cubed butternut squash
- 1 apple, peeled & diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs apple cider
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- salt + pepper
For the dressing: Whisk together vinegar, apple cider, salt and pepper. Slowly pour in olive oil while continuing to whisk. (Keep in fridge for several days.)
For the salad:
1. Rub chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees until chicken is completely cooked and no longer pink.
2. Toss butternut squash in olive oil and roast at 350 degrees until golden brown (about 35 minutes).
3. Toss chickpeas in olive oil and roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until crispy, rotating frequently. (We do this step ahead of time so chickpeas are ready to put on salad immediately.)
4. Gently tear kale into bite-sized pieces.
5. Add chicken, squash, chickpeas and apple to kale. Coat with dressing. (Goat cheese also serves as a great garnish to this salad.) Enjoy!
Photography: Krista A. Jones
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌