Cara McLeay, stylish blogger behind A Fashion Love Affair, not only has an enviable wardrobe but also some of the best locks we’ve ever seen. And considering she’s a creator of the XO Styling Iron, it comes as no surprise that her Instagram feed is full of top-notch hairstyles. We had to find out exactly how she creates such lovely looks, so Cara gave us a step-by-step how-to for creating a beachy, perfectly undone twisted braid!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- XO Styling Iron (or heated styling tool of your choice)
- Mini clear elastics
- Bumble and bumble Does It All Styling Spray
- Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil
1. On one side of your head, twist a small portion of your hair from the front to the back, leaving a few pieces out around your face. Repeat on the other side, and then secure both twisted pieces behind your head with a clear elastic.
2. Grab the ponytail you created with the elastic. Flip it toward your head, looping it behind the elastic and pulling it downward.
3. Gather the hair in the ponytail and separate it into two portions. Take hair from underneath on the left side and pull it to the front. Repeat on the right side, alternating both steps all the way down the ponytail. Secure with an elastic.
4. Slightly pull the braid apart to achieve an undone look.
5. Use the XO Styling Iron (or heated styling tool of your choice) to create soft waves throughout the rest of your hair. If you’re using the XO Styling Iron, place it at a 45-degree angle, close the plates over a section of hair and glide the iron down the length of your hair, spinning it toward you as you move down. You can also use the iron to wave the pieces of hair you left out around the front of your face.
6. To finish the look, lightly spray your curls from underneath with hairspray. Run a small amount of hair oil through waves to separate curls and create shine.
Cara’s tip: Before starting on my hair with the styling iron, I like to do my makeup while my hair is in a braid. This way, my hair is already a bit wavy when I start creating the look.
Words and photos by Erin Sousa
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌