We recently spotted this easy DIY on lifestyle blog “Proper Hunt“ and immediately knew we had to share it with our readers! Christina Han is here today to share the simple tutorial that’s got us dreaming up infinite uses for these fun pom-poms!
“Ever since the weather began warming up and beach vacations appeared on the horizon, I’d been eyeing those ultra-popular pom-pom beach totes. But because I wasn’t crazy about the totes’ price tags, it soon occurred to me that I could make my own pom-poms and tie them onto an affordable—but equally chic—beach tote. I’m so glad I tried my hand at this DIY—it saved me money and also allowed me to customize the colors of my pom-poms!” – Christina
Written and photographed by Christina Han
- Embroidered floss (or yarn)
- Tote bag of your choice
1. Wrap embroidered floss around and around a few of your fingers until you have a sizable chunk and can’t see your skin through the strands. If you want larger pom-poms (like the white pom-pom in this project), wrap floss around your palm.
2. Carefully slip the chunk of floss off your hand, making sure to maintain its shape.
3. Cut an extra piece of floss (about 1 ½ inches long) and tie it around the center of the in-progress pom-pom. Make sure to pull and triple-knot it as tightly and securely as possible.
4. Slip the blade of your open scissors through the looped hole on each end of the chunk. Cut through the strands.
5. After cutting the strands, you may need to trim their ends to ensure that the silhouette is evenly rounded.
6. With the piece of floss you tied onto the pom-pom in step 3, attach the finished pom-pom to your tote!