Brighten up your beverages this summer with some gorgeous “Flower Power” ice cubes! Whether you’re hosting a baby shower or enjoying a backyard barbecue, these frozen treats will keep your drinks cool and your guests smiling. (We’re all for boosting our hostess cred!) Take photos and tag us on Instagram if you try these out at your next soirée—we can’t wait to see your floral-filled creations.
(Note: Be sure to obtain valid information about which kinds of flowers are edible. Visit your local florist if you need some extra guidance. Furthermore, know that floral flavors will definitely seep from the cubes into your drinks. If you don’t want this to happen, consider using the cubes to chill your wine and Champagne—you’ll never see a prettier ice bucket!)
- Edible flowers (any varieties you prefer!)
- Ice tray (I prefer silicone trays; they’re less likely to break the cubes when you pop them out. Also: The bigger the trays, the longer the cubes will last without melting)
- Distilled water (to make, boil water and let cool to room temperature)
1. Place flowers face down in tray’s wells. Fill wells about 1/4 way full—you just want to cover the flowers.
2. Freeze until cubes are solid, then add water until wells are half full.
3. Repeat the above process twice more until the wells are completely full. (And feel free to add a second layer of flowers!)
4. When the cubes are completely solid, remove them from tray and enjoy! (Remember that the flowers will infuse your drinks with a floral taste. Also: Water and various juices are fabulous non-alcoholic choices—and they look super pretty with these cubes!)
NOTE: Some of the flowers pictured in this post are not edible (behind the scenes, I just used them to chill bottled beverages). If you decide to use cubes filled with non-edible flowers for chilling purposes, just make sure all your guests know not to actually put them in their drinks.
Words and photography by Arin Agase