Sure—summer is the ideal time for tropical beach trips and lazy pool days, but let’s face it: Between work, budget and location restraints, not all of us have the luxury of going on a formal vacation. If you’re envious of friends or co-workers who are coming back from their getaways with glowing tans and refreshed attitudes, read on. We’re sharing a few suggestions for treating yourself to a mini-vacation from home!
If you’re stuck at home, turn your space into a relaxing oasis.
- Turn off your phone and electronic devices. Just do it!
- Pick up some books and magazines you’ve been dying to read but haven’t had the time for. You can check out our most recent book recommendations here.
- Gather ingredients for the tropical cocktail (or mocktail) of your choice. And don’t be afraid to indulge in one midday—after all, you are on vacation! Try a Slushy Coconut-Mint Margarita or Spicy Paloma Cocktail.
- Love listening to tunes at the beach? Create a playlist of your favorite summer songs, and keep the music going all day long!
- Pamper yourself with some spa-like treatments. Put your towels in the dryer to make them warm and fluffy, then light your favorite candles and draw a bath.
Now that you’re feeling relaxed and rejuvenated, it’s time to look the part!
- Apply a little self-tanner. You want it to look subtle and natural, so try not to overdo it! We recommend using a gradual self-tanner, or mixing a regular self-tanner with some body lotion. Get more self-tanner application tips here. And don’t be afraid to apply some to your face—you can read that how-to here.
- Give yourself a fresh mani-pedi. Go for a bright, punchy hue or crisp white color to offset your new tan. Here are our favorite white nail polishes.
- Create some effortless-looking beach waves in your hair. Try curling with a flat iron, or give one of our favorite texturizing sprays a go!
- Apply makeup products that will give you a dewy, glowy look. We like sticking to a tinted moisturizer, some bronzer, cream or gel blush, mascara and a tinted lip balm or gloss. Or, try this tutorial our beauty editor Erin put together.
- Add a spritz of perfume to finish off your look. Go for a light and summery fragrance—perhaps something that has a hint of coconut. We love Bobbi Brown Beach or Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess.
After following these tips, you’re sure to look and feel sun-kissed and refreshed—almost as if you spent the weekend at the beach! (We said almost …)
Written by Abby Sterling