Whether you live in New York City or are visiting for the first time, relying on your phone is often a must. Our New York editor, Carly, is celebrating her one-year anniversary of life in the Big Apple this week, and today, she’s sharing the apps she has in constant rotation during her week. From finding the easiest subway route to nabbing discount Broadway tickets, these are Carly’s five favorite apps that make life in the big city a little easier.
1. Postmates: While pretty much everything can be delivered in New York, there always seems to be that one restaurant that won’t deliver to your place (we’re looking at you, Shake Shack!). This bike delivery system will quickly pick up your requests and deliver them straight to you.
2. Citymapper: If you’re not familiar with the subway system or you’re just in need of mapping out your schedule for the day, this app instantly shares the best routes to take. It notes subway delays and compares the time differences between walking, driving or taking the subway—helping to make your commute stress-free.
3. TodayTix: For Broadway lovers or those looking for a last-minute city activity, TodayTix quickly finds discount tickets for the upcoming week (or night!), making it easy to have a classic New York evening.
4. Venmo: Whether you’re splitting a cab, attending a group dinner or divvying up drinks at a bar, this app becomes a lifesaver. Hooked up to your bank account, Venmo allows you to send money to your friends instantly without worrying about having cash on hand.
5. Classpass: Fitting in gym time can be difficult in a busy city, but Classpass is a favorite for those who love to try new workouts. With unlimited exercise classes each month for $125, there’s no excuse to not get out there and get fit while having fun!
Photo by Em the Gem