The other week Caitlin shared her fall challenge with us, and today Abby is talking about the goal she’s set for herself this season! Read on to see what she’s up to, and follow along on social media with the hashtag #GGFallGoals.
To say that I’m not a morning person would be a total understatement. For years the snooze button and copious amounts of caffeine have been my morning BBFs. If I had it my way, I’d sleep in until at least 10 a.m. each day and then leisurely get ready with a coffee in my hand. I started working from home five years ago, and I can’t tell you how many times since then that I’ve found myself in my pajamas at 1 p.m., still without having eaten breakfast. Sometimes 5 p.m. rolls around and I haven’t even ventured outside yet! This is, of course, supremely unhealthy on so many levels, but it has unfortunately been the more consistent morning “routine” in my life.
I’ve tried to break this habit many times. I’ve read countless articles about adhering to healthy routines—what to do, what not to do, what the most successful people do—and then tried to implement similar schedules. Any success that followed only lasted for a few days. Eventually I realized that attempting routines so radically different from mine was automatically setting me up for failure!
But this fall, with a new puppy in my care, I’m challenging myself to create—and stick to—a wholesome routine that suits my lifestyle. It may not resemble the way a successful CEO starts his or her morning, but if it will make me feel healthy and happy and excited to begin my day, that’s all that matters.
In terms of sticking to a morning routine, I hope to consistently accomplish the following steps:
- Avoid checking my emails/Instagram from bed
- Wash my face, brush my teeth and eat breakfast at a more appropriate time—aka the morning.
- Change out of my pajamas, even if that just means putting on another pair of shorts or leggings.
- Take care of my pup! Make sure she gets outside to do her business; feed her and take her for a nice walk in the park.
- Take a moment, before opening my computer and starting work, to set my intentions for the day and create a positive mindset for myself.
I’ll be checking in later this season to let you know how I’m doing and how I’ve been structuring my mornings. Please let me know if you have any relevant suggestions or tips—leave a comment below or use the hashtag #GGFallGoals on social media!