If the idea of dressing up and venturing out sounds scarier than the last horror flick you saw, consider celebrating October 31 at home! Don’t get me wrong: I adore everything about Halloween, from the candy to the pumpkin carving to the creative costumes. As I’ve gotten older, though, my desire to “go out” has waned significantly—been there, done that! I’ve never had more JOMO (“joy of missing out”), and the idea of staying in makes me downright giddy. (When did I get so old?!)
For my fellow Halloween junkies who also enjoy cozy nights in: Below are some ways that you can throw a festive celebration from the comfort of your own living room!
1. Make homemade apple cider sangria. And impress your Instagram followers with snapshots of the delicious drink! I recommend sipping it in a hot bubble bath while some spooky Halloween tunes play. (I just got really excited to do that. Ahh, sometimes simplicity is so much better!)
2. Invite your girlfriends over for a movie marathon. My personal favorite films include “Hocus Pocus” and “Double, Double, Toil and Trouble.” (Don’t judge—I’m not a fan of the super-scary movies!)
3. Play Halloween-inspired games outdoors, in the dark. “Ghosts in the Graveyard,” anyone? My nostalgia is at an all-time high!
4. Give yourself “Goosebumps.” Remember these old books?! Grab a flashlight, turn off the lights and read a few chapters aloud for a fun trip down memory lane.
5. Carve pumpkins. Even after 29 years, I still absolutely love carving pumpkins with my family. We make it a competition and vote for our favorites. (Oh—and don’t forget about the best part: the delicious baked pumpkin seeds!)
6. Find fun ways to interact with your trick-or-treaters. Do you have any baby monitors or walkie-talkies on hand? Hide one outside behind a plant or bush, and talk to your trick-or-treaters from inside as they approach your door!
7. Cook something. There are so many delicious fall dishes out there. Tackle that seasonal treat you’ve been wanting to try, and munch on it as you watch a scary movie! Another option: Have a potluck dinner with friends, and invite everyone to vote for their favorite dish. (I always turn everything into a competition—it must be the Gemini in me!)
8. Go to bed early. Seriously—sometimes a good night’s sleep is exactly the kind of celebration you need! You’ll wake up feeling refreshed and ready to attack the day (#NoHangoverClub #Winning).
9. Host a low-key dinner. Instead of throwing a crazy party, invite some friends over for a delicious fall meal (costumes optional!). Set up a homemade photo booth, and capture memories with tons of fun snaps and selfies. This is the perfect excuse to buy some adorable fall décor—Nordstrom has some seriously cute pieces. Invite your friends to bring a Halloween-themed drink to share (think: candy corn-flavored martinis or apple cider margaritas).
10. Break out Mad Libs. Download some highly entertaining Halloween-themed Mad Libs—they’re guaranteed to make you giggle! Your inner child will thank you.
Have a happy Halloween, everyone!