Chocolate and coffee are a match made in heaven. They bring out the best flavors in each other and combine to make a decadent, delicious beverage that’s perfect for the holidays. Though a coffee shop mocha is convenient, the cost can really add up over time. Today, our lifestyle contributor, Natalie Borton, shares an at-home recipe for you to try that only requires three ingredients—strong coffee (or espresso), drinking chocolate powder and milk. Happy sipping!
Homemade Mocha Recipe
- 1 cup of strong coffee or 2 shots of espresso
- 3 tablespoons of drinking chocolate powder (we like Trader Joe’s brand)
- ¾ cup milk of choice, steamed or heated on the stovetop (Natalie uses almond milk)
- Start by heating your milk. Natalie uses a milk steamer, but you can put it in a saucepan if you don’t have one.
- Scoop your drinking chocolate* powder into a mug. If you are using a single-serve coffeemaker, brew your coffee or espresso over the chocolate powder. Otherwise, pour already-prepared hot coffee or espresso over the powder.
- Pour the hot milk into the mug.
- Stir until fully combined.
*Drinking chocolate isn’t the same as regular cocoa. If you use regular cocoa, you may need to add more to achieve the same flavor.