There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays
When it comes to the holiday season, there's one thing that most of us can agree on: there's no place like home. But, of course, we don't all have the luxury of making the trek back to that nostalgic house filled with all of the people we love most. However, there are a few ways to infuse our surroundings with a homey tone in the weeks leading up to the new year.
Our strategy of choice? A cozy at-home holiday viewing party! This concept couldn't be easier thanks to a few creative, cozy details and recipes, plus our favorite shows (think: "Nashville" and "Modern Family") lined up and ready to go on Hulu. When you combine things like a quiet night in with our favorite gal pals and a good TV show—well, if you ask us, there's really nowhere else we'd rather be. Read on for our tips for hosting a simple holiday viewing party, and the recipes that really brought that super-sweet sentiment home!
Serve a Batch Cocktail.
Free yourself from playing bartender all night by creating a signature cocktail for your guests. Our pick? Grapefruit martinis! In addition to their pretty pink hue, this cocktail is refreshing and we love the bold citrus flavor. Be sure to have sparkling water and juice on-hand as a non-alcoholic option, too. Festive garnishes—like sugared cranberries—are also fun to set out.
*Makes 1 drink
- 3 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1½ ounces vodka
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- 1 ounce triple sec
- Place all ingredients in a shaker.
- Shake vigorously.
- Pour into a chilled glass, serve and enjoy!
Create a Theme.
For us, this part was the easiest! We decided to serve up sweets and martinis, sticking to a pink-and-white color scheme. When you select a specific theme for your viewing party, it becomes more than a chance to catch-up on your favorite shows—it becomes a full-fledged toast-worthy event!
Keep it Cozy.
Plenty of candles, throw blankets and pillows will create a cozy environment for cuddling up on the couch to watch marathons of your favorite guilty pleasures. Request that your girls come over in PJs or sweatpants to up the comfort level!
End it on a Sweet Note.
Send your girls home with a sweet treat—perhaps a batch of our sugar-coated popcorn!
- Popped popcorn
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange popcorn on the tray.
- Heat chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl until melted. To do so, heat them in 15-second increments, stirring in between.
- Immediately drizzle the melted chocolate over popcorn, and then quickly put sprinkles on top. Work in small batches, as the chocolate hardens quickly.
- Let the popcorn dry completely for about an hour before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.