If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to start exercising more, we’re right there with you! With the holiday season over and the new year providing a fresh start, people everywhere have getting in shape on their list of goals for the year. While a popular resolution, it’s not always easy (hence why it’s a reoccurring resolution for us). This year, we are determined to find a workout routine that works for us—and stick to it. We’ve partnered with Victoria’s Secret to test out the company’s fun new sportswear line and get our fitness into gear! Read on for our 10 tips and tricks for creating a exercise routine that fits your lifestyle and will keep you motivated all year long and stay tuned for an AMAZING offer from Victoria’s Secret coming soon…
- Get inspired: Start a fitness and wellness board on Pinterest. You can make it public or private, but it’s a great way to accumulate inspiration, workout routines and healthy recipes. Once you start pinning, Pinterest will suggest other pins you might like. Check back daily or once a week to keep yourself motivated. Follow the #IDeserveIt board and Train Like An Angel board for inspiration from Victoria’s Secret.
- Change the way you think about working out: The more you think about your fitness routine as a healthy lifestyle choice rather than a chore, the better chance you’ll enjoy it rather than dread it. You only have one body and one life—think of your workouts as taking care of your body and your health—just like taking vitamins or eating a healthy meal.
- Be realistic about your routine: If you aren’t used to working out consistently, don’t make it your goal to work out five-to-seven days a week right off the bat, as you’ll most likely set yourself up for failure and get discouraged. Similarly, create a schedule that makes sense for your lifestyle. If you aren’t a morning person, don’t set your goal to go running each morning before work. There is a ton of great inspiration online for starting a workout schedule and having it progress over time as you become more regular with your exercise.
- Set a goal: Whether you are aiming to lose holiday weight, get into a regular routine or tone up, set a goal to keep you motivated. Again, being realistic is key here. Don’t expect to look and feel the way you are hoping to in a couple weeks. Just as trying a fad or crash diet, the chances your fitness routine and the results will stick are fairly slim. Think of your goal as a marathon, not a sprint.
- New workout gear: We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again—new, fun workout gear always inspires us to get moving and into shape. We are big fans of Victoria’s Secret’s selection of bright and fun athletic wear—it puts our drab, ill-fitting black exercise clothes to shame. While Victoria’s Secret is known for its lingerie and shapewear, its new line of sportswear builds on its knowledge of creating pieces that fit bodies of all different sizes. When it comes to wearing sports bras, fit is key, just like with your regular undergarments. It’s even more important when you’re going to be in motion for periods of time (think: running, jumping, etc.)! Victoria’s Secret’s sports bras fit like its regular bras, so its easy to find the right size—and quite honestly, we never realized how important a proper-fitting sports bra was until now. The company’s workout bottoms are also great, which provide the support our bodies need for a comfortable workout. Our favorite styles are the Knockout by Victoria’s Secret Front-Close Sport Bra and the Knockout by Victoria’s Secret Capri and there is currently FREE shipping until Jan. 20 on orders over $100 with the code FREESHIP100.
- Create a playlist: There’s nothing like a great playlist to keep your energy up and stay motivated! Create your own playlists on iTunes or Spotify, or search Spotify’s great workout playlists to listen to.
- Grab a friend: Ask a friend if he or she wants to join you on your fitness journey. Whether you work out together or just stay in touch throughout the week, having a buddy share the process holds you more accountable and makes it more fun.
- Mix it up: Sticking to one workout not only can bore your mind, but your body as well. Changing up your routine allows you to work different muscle groups and keep your body and mind challenged. One idea for mixing up your routine is to try a new fitness class each month. You can also check out Victoria’s Secret’s Sport channel on YouTube for more workout ideas.
- Set reminders: One of the easiest ways to get your workouts on track is to mark it on your calendar and set reminders. It will also help you map out your workouts for the month. Not everyone has a consistent schedule, so if your goal is to run three times a week, you can map it out each week on the calendar.
- Acknowledge your successes: For many people, working out and sticking to routines isn’t always easy—and sometimes it’s downright hard. It’s important to acknowledge when you’ve made time for your fitness routine or had a great workout. Remembering how good it feels to complete a workout will help you stay motivated, even on the toughest of days.
Here’s to a fit and healthy you in 2016. Don’t forget to check back in a few days to get the entire scoop on the explosive offer from Victoria’s Secret—you aren’t going to want to miss this!