Below, Oh, Holy Basil blogger, Dillon Tisdel, shares her recipe for Cashew Creamed Spinach, perfect for those looking to adopt a plant-based diet!
Cooking is predictable, but also kind of magical. There is a dependability about it, an alchemy. You put certain things together, you will get a certain result, but it’s also incredibly creative. I like the balance of structure and freedom that it provides. There is also something really beautiful about feeding people. Really, I think that’s my favorite part. You can concretize your love and serve it.
Cashew Creamed Spinach
Cashew cream sauce:
- 2/3 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked in water for 4 to 8 hours
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach, root ends trimmed
- Half of an onion, finely diced
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconut oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Strain the soaked cashews, rinse them and place them in the jar of a blender. Add the rest of the cream sauce ingredients and blend until really smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Clean the spinach well. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the spinach to the water. Cook until it has wilted, about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible. Roughly chop and set it aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook gently until softened, about 10 minutes. If the onions start to brown, turn down the heat and continue to cook.
- When the onions have softened, add the spinach, stirring to break up any large clumps. Next, add the cream sauce and cook, stirring to incorporate, until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste, then add water, a tablespoon at a time, if it needs thinning. Serve immediately.