Glitter Guide contributor, Arin Agase, is back with yet another thoughtful and introspective take on making the most of the little things in life—namely starting the day on a positive note! Her 10 tips for waking up happier are below.
If you’re not a morning person (raises both hands!), then the morning struggle is real. Whether you’re repeatedly pressing snooze, reaching for an extra-large coffee or sprinting to your morning meeting thanks to oversleeping, we feel you. For most of us, we’re glued to schedules and daily routines, which force us out the door, but we want you to get excited to start a new day (yes, it’s possible!).
“If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”—Roald Dahl
To add a sunnier start to your day, we’re sharing 10 morning hacks below that will have you singing with the birds in no time. Waking up early is scientifically proven to boost energy, metabolism and moods—I’ll take one of each, please! Is there anything else you’d add to the list? Share below!
- Flower power: Psychologists believe that we see flowers as a ‘safe haven.’ The sight of a colorful bouquet in the morning makes us happy. Personally, I keep fresh blooms on my nightstand so it’s the first thing I see. Experts also suggest that people who do this wake up happier, less anxious and more energetic at work. Sometimes, it really is the small things! P.S. My flowers of choice cost just $5.99 from Trader Joe’s. That’s cheaper than your morning soy latte!
- Go to bed earlier: Set your sleep-timers, and get your smartphone out of your face! Bright screens are a no-go when it comes to a positive sleep pattern. Experts suggest that falling asleep an hour earlier (only an hour!) will boost optimism, alertness and productivity. It will also help you rise a little easier in the morning. Sweet dreams, babes.
- Wake up earlier: Yup, there’s a catch. If you’re falling asleep earlier, you get to rise earlier! There’s a long list of benefits associated with waking up earlier, and it certainly has a huge effect on how the rest of your day goes.
- Sleep naked: Experts also suggest a long list of benefits to sleeping naked. You’ll wake up feeling sexier, and that definitely counts for something!
- Shades for days: If the sun is out and about (we miss it in Chicago), grab a pair of shades! The sun makes you squint, which can bring down your mood. Who would have thought?!
- Stay off social media: If you’re anything like me, you’re checking email, Instagram and Facebook all from bed. Stop it! Without realizing it, social media can trigger feelings which may or may not start you off on the right foot. Each morning spent away from technology is a great thing! Give this a try for a week, and see where you’re at. We all but guarantee that you’ll be happier!
- Wake up to a clean space: Do all of your tidying up before bed. When you wake up in a clean space, you’ll feel refreshed and peaceful. The messier the room, the messier your mind. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
- Smile: Regardless of how you feel, try to smile. Even better: smile at yourself in the mirror. Laugh if you must, but it’s definitely worth a try!
- Inspire yourself: Start off each day with something inspirational. I absolutely love Pinterest because it always sparks my creative juices. An encouraging podcast or book are also great alternatives!
- Stretch: My fiancé stretches each morning for 25 minutes. He says it does wonders for his mood, energy and metabolism. He hasn’t gone a day without stretching in a year! I have yet to get on this bandwagon, but I’ll certainly add it to my list of morning musts!
Featured photo is from the home of Mallory Fitzsimmons. See the gorgeous full home tour here.