It’s just like clockwork! Every time we spot a cute piñata while scrolling through our Instagram or Pinterest feeds, we instantly feel the itch to join in on the fun and host a soirée worthy of a tissue paper mascot. In case you also go gaga for colorful, party-ready piñatas, you’re in luck! In honor of Taylor’s daughter’s birthday, crafter extraordinaire, Hillary Bilik, put together a fun feline piñata fit for Elodie’s big day. Below, Hillary shares the step-by-step process for creating your own piñata just in time to kick off the spring party season!
DIY Cat Piñata
- Box cutter
- Craft glue
- Masking tape
- Zip tie
- Paper card stock (I used pink, black and teal)
- Tissue paper (I used pearl white and iridescent)
- Twine (optional for hanging up once finished)
- Use the compass to draw a circle. The size depends on how large you want your cat head to be.
- Use a ruler and pencil to draw two triangles for the ears.
- Cut out the shape of the cat face using a box cutter. Next, trace this shape onto another piece of cardboard and cut out. This will be the front and back of the piñata.
- Cut out 4-inch strips of cardboard, then use masking tape to tape the strips to the sides of your cat face.
- Pierce two holes at the top and string the zip tie through. The clasp should be on the inside, making a loop on the outside.
- Place the backside of the cardboard on top of your sides, using masking tape to secure.
- Create a trap door so you can stuff the piñata with candy later on. To do so, cut three sides at the bottom, then line the edges with masking tape. If you don’t plan on filling it with candy, then you can skip this step.
- Cut strips of pearl white tissue paper approximately three inches wide. Make sure your strip is the length of your piñata’s width.
- Cut small slits into the paper.
- Repeat the previous two steps using the iridescent paper.
- Start layering the tissue paper with the glue, starting at the bottom.
- Overlap and work your way up to the top of the face. Then, do the same for the sides and back.
- Draw your preferred cat features onto the card stock. Your cat will need eyes, a nose, whiskers, a mouth and glasses. Cut the shapes out.
- Figure out where you want all the features placed, and then glue them on.
- Your cat piñata is almost finished! To complete, follow the instructions below for a DIY mini party hat.
DIY Mini Party Hat
- Card stock (optional)
- Colored tissue paper
- Craft glue
- Masking tape
- Draw 1/3 of a circle with a triangle-like shape and cut out. This will be the hat.
- Curl the shape around itself to create a cone, leaving a small hole at the very top. With masking tape, secure into place.
- Cut 2-inch strips of tissue paper or card stock, and cut tiny slits along the edges.
- Begin gluing your tissue paper at a diagonal, starting at the crease where you taped the cone together.
- Keep layering one strip of tissue paper on top of the other, alternating colors. Do this until you cover the entire cone.
- Glue a layer of tissue paper all the way around at the base of the cone.
- Fold a strip of tissue paper into a 2-inch square, then twist the bottom half.
- Using the twisted side first, insert the tissue paper into the small hole at the top of the cone. Voila!
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌