Our contributor, Arin Agase, is back with a list of 10 ways to give your bedtime routine a healthy wake-up call!
It’s no secret that the very last thing (or things) you do before bed has a significant impact on your overall health. This includes mood, energy levels and physical well-being that actually carry over into the next day. It’s important to catch your Zs—successful people understand that this is the key to performance levels and overall health. Bedtime routines are essential, so what do healthy people do before bed? Let’s dig in!
- Read: Get that screen out of your face! Replace technology with an old-fashioned book—remember those? Did you know that some of the most successful people in business block off time each night to read? It helps fuel creativity, relaxation and so much more. P.S. This can be any book, from philosophy to a biography—you name it. Try it for yourself, and let us know how it’s going!
- Shower: Body temperature is crucial in regulating sleep. Warm water has a power-down effect, so it’ll help fuel sleep. Personally, I make it an effort each night to take a bubble bath. It’s my only time to mentally escape, and come down from the busy day. Also, my brain knows that after a bath, it’s time to settle down. It’s a great exercise for your internal clock and to help train your brain.
- Make a list: Clear your head by simply jotting down a list of things you didn’t get to for the day, so they’re not wandering around in your brain as soon as you lay down. It’ll all be there in the morning.
- Reflect: Reflect on the day and end it on a positive note. Write down a few things you were grateful for to help fuel positive thinking. The happier you are before bed, the better rest you will get! It’s also a great way to track progress throughout the months to come (try reaching for your notes when you’re having a bad day).
- Picture makes perfect: Have you ever tried envisioning your day? While you’re laying down for rest, simply picture your day. Did you just kick serious butt in a meeting? Handle a big assignment like a boss? Whatever it is, envision success! Usually, that’ll be the outcome. My mother always said, “Positive thinking brings positive results.”
- Spend time with family: Take time to unplug and spend time with the people you love—even if it’s just a simple game night (I’ve been on a board game kick lately). It’s the perfect way to mentally escape after a busy day. Oh, and laugh. That’s important, too!
- Meditate: Simple and to the point! Take 10 minutes before bed to meditate. Gently relax your body and mind, letting thoughts come and go as they please. It’s one of my favorite things to do while I take my nightly bubble bath!
- Drink water: Water is the cure-all. Staying hydrated throughout the evening will help improve sleep and kick that metabolism into gear. It’ll also keep you extra healthy.
- Unplug: Don’t sleep near your phone. I repeat: don’t sleep near your phone! As soon as I started doing this, I noticed a significant increase in my sleep patterns. It’s also not the first thing I reach for as soon as I wake up (very important).
- Work out: Even if it’s just a quick stretch, it’s important to stay active, especially if you’re sitting at a desk all day. I know you’re tired, but you’ve got this!