It’s no secret that our lifestyle editor, Natalie Borton, tends to always look chic and pulled together. So, when she offered to divulge her secret to the perfect milkmaid braid, you know we couldn’t refuse! Her step-by-step hair tutorial is below.
Though I almost always wear my hair down, earlier this year I finally got around to trying a look I’d been considering for awhile: milkmaid braids! Perfect for second- (or third-) day hair, this style couldn’t be easier to do! It only takes a few minutes, and all you need are two clear elastic bands and a few bobby pins that match your hair color.
- Make sure your hair has a bit of texture so it doesn’t slip out of the braids. I find this look is most successful if my hair wasn’t washed the day of, or if I apply some dry shampoo and/or salt or texture spray to rough up the strands a little and give them some grip. This style also works best if your hair has a little wave to it, so I usually start with hair I’ve gone over quickly with my curling wand! At the very least, focus on those front pieces that you’ll leave out.
- Pull hair into two low pigtails with your clear elastics, leaving some hair loose in the front to keep the style laid-back and fresh. Don’t worry about a perfect part in the back—it really looks better when the part is done naturally rather than with a comb.
- Now it’s time to braid! Pick a side to start on and apply the “Goldilocks” principle here—the braid shouldn’t be too tight or too loose. When you’re done, pull the braid over the top of your head and secure with a bobby pin. If you have really thick hair, you may need to use more than one bobby pin.
- Once the first braid is finished and in place, repeat the steps on the other side.
- Use additional bobby pins to secure any pieces that have poked out, and finish with hairspray to keep it all in place.
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌