Pursuit Of Shoes blogger, Ashley Torres, is one of those naturally beautiful gals who, when we see her gracing our Instagram or Pinterest feeds, we can’t help but think, “How does she do it?!” Well, luckily for you and for our team here at Glitter Guide, Ashley agreed to divulge her entire beauty process to us, and you’ll find both her morning and her nighttime routines below. We can’t wait to try her tips out this season, and think you won’t be able to either!
What’s the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
Typically, it’s an a.m. cuddle sesh with the boy. I try really hard not to check my phone until I’m up and out of bed. That being said, 50 percent of the time, a cuddle session turns into both of us on our phones. Couple goals, right?
Coffee or tea?
Coffee. I walk to Starbucks every morning and grab a grande iced coffee. When I get back home from my coffee trip, that’s when my body and mind know that it’s time to start work.
Run us through your morning beauty routine! What skincare and beauty products do you typically use?
My a.m. routine differs depending on the day. I work from home two to three days a week, and on those days, I only see other humans at night and never wear makeup. Honestly, no-makeup days have helped my skin immensely, especially in the acne department. For stay-at-home days, my routine goes like this:
- Wash face with Simple Facial Cleanser.
- Tone with Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 or use Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Pads (I switch up every day).
- Apply Kiehl’s ‘Powerful-Strength’ Line-Reducing Concentrate—I’m obsessed with this stuff. It’s a magical potion that makes lines fade away and brightens skin. When I first started using it, my boyfriend thought I was wearing makeup when I wasn’t (#winning). The instructions say to use it twice a day—to me, it’s a little too heavy to wear under makeup, so I only use it twice when there’s no makeup in the routine.
- Apply Origins Starting Over Age-erasing Eye Cream with Mimosa.
Because I’ve gotten into a routine of not wearing makeup a lot, my “days-out” face is now pretty minimal, unless I’m going to a special event. For days when I have to see other humans, this is what my routine looks like:
- Prep is same as above, except for the Kiehl’s. Instead, I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream with SPF 15.
- Smashbox BB Cream / Tinted Moisturizer
- Buxom or Nars ‘Orgasm’ blush; they’re very similar (it honestly depends on which one I can find first in my makeup bag)
- Smashbox Concealer (Smashbox just stopped making it, so I’m currently looking for a new one!)
- A touch of IT bronzer.
- Pixi eyeliner on bottom lash line (I’m obsessed with the Pixi line from Target).
- Rimmel London Mascara
- I always carry Sonia Kashuk lipsticks with me in a few shades, usually ranging from warm nudes, to coral and red.
How long does it usually take you to get ready in the morning?
Really fast as long as my hair doesn’t need to be washed! I try to only wash my hair every two or three days, so during those days I can jump out of bed and put my makeup on and do a quick side braid, then be out the door in 10 to 15 minutes.
You always look so chic and put together. Do you plan out your outfits the night before or do you just throw on whatever you feel like in the morning?
I rarely ever plan outfits unless I’m prepping for a blog shoot. Honestly, I’ve really just narrowed down a color palette (black, nude, olive, white, chambray) and some great basics (denim, cotton dresses, button-down shirts, blazers) that can always be mixed and matched. It makes getting ready so much easier, and 90 percent of the time, I think I look put together! And you know me—it’s all about the shoes. When I feel like spicing things up, I’ll just grab a fun pair of shoes to pair with my “uniform.”
Like you mentioned, it’s pretty obvious that you have a major love for shoes! Do you have a favorite pair or favorite brand?
Oh, this is a tough one. I always tell people that if I had to buy shoes from one place for the rest of my life, I would pick Zara. The styles are on-trend and fashion-forward, plus the price points are amazing. You can’t beat ’em! That being said, if I had to pick a favorite brand, it may be Loeffler Randall! For the past few years, I’ve loved everything that she does and always have a pair on my ‘pursuing shoes’ wish list.
What do you normally eat for breakfast to fuel up for a busy day?
You’re not going to like this answer, but coffee is my breakfast 70 percent of the time. I’m trying to get better though. I know myself and “hangry” is not a cute look, which is where I usually am around 11 a.m., when all I’ve had for breakfast is coffee. On top of that, I’m very aware that it’s not healthy, so I’ve been adding the following into the mix:
- Breakfast tacos made of scrambled eggs with fresh garlic and spinach in two corn tortillas, topped with mango salsa—they’re so yummy!
- 24 ounce fresh juice from Nékter Juice Bar
- 1 hard-boiled egg and 1 avocado
It’s a busy day on the go and you’re starving—what kind of snacks do you reach for or have on hand?
UberEATS is a lifesaver! When it first launched, I coined the slogan, “UberEATS: Solving hangry one delivery at a time.” My tip? You can have them deliver almost anywhere in LA. I put in my order before I get to my final destination so that it’s there right when I arrive. In other words, if you have to go to the cleaners in West Hollywood and it takes you 20 minutes to get there, order UberEATS to be delivered to the cleaners and then you can intercept and eat in your car. It’s so much healthier than fast food!
Other than UberEATS, I’m a fan of popcorn or peanuts around the house and in the car to hold me over until the next meal. As I mentioned, I’ve been on the juice train lately, so I keep my fridge pretty stocked with pressed juices that I can grab when I run out of the house.
You always look so fit and healthy! How often and when do you typically work out during the week? What are your favorite ways to exercise?
I’ve always believed in “everything in moderation.” When I have an overly event-heavy (a.k.a. boozy) week, the next week is filled with a lot of water and extra exercise. On a good week, I work out two to three times a week. On a bad one, maybe once or not at all. But I’m always very active. I try to get a walk in every day, either by myself when I’m on the phone or with my boyfriend during sunset.
How do you stay motivated when it comes to your workouts?
I’m a group workout person—it’s hard for me to push myself to work out when I’m by myself. I think it’s important to figure out what kind of workouts make you go the extra mile and those that are just “comfortable” (I’m comfortable on the elliptical machines). I’ve recently started doing Pilates at The Studio (MDR) on the West Side and it’s incredible. There’s never a session when I’m not killing myself to do one extra rep, and it helps that everyone around me is doing the same thing.
What’s on your workout playlist?
Always Britney and Beyoncé. Right now, I’m really into electronic dance music, so any spotify EDM playlist is my jam.
Sometimes, you just have to indulge in a little comfort food! What’s your favorite guilty pleasure?
Wine! That’s a food group, right? In-N-Out Burger is my vice, 100 percent.
When you aren’t at events or traveling, what does a typical evening look like for you at home?
I’m a work horse and if I’m home, I’m working in some capacity or another. The BF and I have also just started getting back into Apple TV—I cut the cable cord a few years ago. Right now, we’re watching “The People v. O.J. Simpson” and “Fuller House”!
What’s your go-to easy weekday meal to make?
I’ll be honest: I don’t cook that much. We eat out a lot (Sugarfish is my weekly treat) or order in. When I do night workouts, I sometimes just get a smoothie for dinner on my way home. If I’m cooking, it’s normally my fave pasta recipe—fresh garlic, red chili flakes, olive oil, spinach and Parmesan cheese. Lots of Parmesan.
Let’s talk evening beauty! What does your beauty and skincare routine look like?
I’m always testing new products, but these are my tried and true go-tos:
- If I’m wearing makeup, I use Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm to remove lingering makeup.
- Wash face with Simple Facial Cleanser.
- Tone with Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 or Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Pads.
- Apply Kiehl’s ‘Powerful-Strength’ Line-Reducing Concentrate.
- Apply Kiehl’s ‘Midnight Recovery’ Concentrate—I’m obsessed.
- Apply Kiehl’s ‘Midnight Recovery’ Eye Concentrate.
- Drink a bottle of water!
What is the last thing you do before bed?
True story: Check Instagram.
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox.