What better time to start making positive changes to your routine than right now? In that vein, we’re thrilled to welcome wellness coach and professional counselor, Kara Stout, to Glitter Guide today, as she offers her pro advice for ways to kick-start the kickoff to your morning.
The way you begin your morning can have a serious effect on the rest of your day. If you skipped breakfast, had to rush to work and didn’t get a good night’s sleep, there’s a good chance you will quickly feel exhausted, low on energy, anxious and not have as great a day as you were meant to have! You can have a much happier, healthier and more productive day with these simple, effective tips that are easy to add into your morning routine.
Before we jump into how to make over your morning, let’s take a quick look at what you can do the night before. It’s helpful to make your to-do list for the next day, so you wake up knowing what needs to get done and you feel prepared and organized. Also, picking out your outfit the night before can definitely save you time and save your bed from looking like a clothes hurricane came through.
Also, this is a hard one, but a good one—say goodnight to your phone early and leave it in a different room. Do not keep it on your nightstand or anywhere in your bedroom. If you use your phone as an alarm clock, this gives you the perfect excuse to shop for a cute, old school alarm clock. This way you won’t be tempted to grab your phone first thing in the morning and start scrolling and checking emails and all social media accounts.
Five ways to make over your morning:
- But first, lemon water: Move over coffee, we have a new slogan: Start your day with a cup of warm water and lemon. Do this first thing when you wake up, before breakfast and before your cup of coffee. Warm water with lemon is great for hydration, digestion, pretty skin, energy, metabolism and your immune system. It’s also a natural stress reducer. I’ll take all that! Just squeeze fresh juice from half of a lemon in one cup of warm water. I promise you can still have your beloved cup of joe—just after you’ve had your lemon water!
- Work out for five minutes: This is such a short amount of time, so anyone can squeeze this mini workout into their morning routine! My husband is a personal trainer and created this quick full-body plan: 20 jumping jacks, 20 squats, 20 sit-ups, 10 push-ups, a 30-second plank and then repeat. You should do this before you eat breakfast. This gets you moving, wakes you up, energizes you and gets your heart rate up and increases your metabolism. You can also go on a short walk, do yoga or go to a workout class in the morning. Whatever works best for you, as long as you get moving early!
- Eat a healthy, energy-boosting breakfast: Be sure to eat a breakfast that provides you with a variety of veggies, fruits, healthy fats and clean protein. It’s also important to pick foods that will give you lots of energy to start your day. Some foods that will give you energy are leafy greens, raw cacao powder, chia seeds, hemp seeds, kiwi, quinoa, almond butter and eggs. A great way to enjoy a lot of these energy-boosting foods is in a green smoothie. Also, chia seed pudding is my breakfast go-to! It takes less than five minutes and is so simple to make. The best part is you make it the night before so all you have to do in the morning is take it out of the fridge and enjoy! Here’s how you can make my Blackberry Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding. And please, please, please don’t ever skip breakfast!
- A vitamin a day keeps the doctor away: No matter how healthy your diet, it’s still difficult to get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. So, make sure to take a high-quality multivitamin, fish oil and vitamin D3. This will help keep your immune system strong, give you energy, help you focus, boost your mood, improve sleep and contribute to pretty skin and hair.
- Feed your soul: With the extra time you gain from not looking at your phone right away, cuddle with your dog a little longer, read a devotional, write in your journal, sit outside when the weather is nice and drink your lemon water, talk to your spouse or roommate—anything that grounds, encourages and relaxes you.
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌