Think pizza can’t be healthy? Think again! Below, Kara Stout, a wellness coach and professional counselor, shares her recipe for Arugula Berry Spring Pizza with Cauliflower Crust, perfect for those looking to indulge in a delicious pizza pie loaded with veggies and fruits!
Seriously, who doesn’t love pizza? My husband and I frequently make it at home using fresh, whole food ingredients with lots of veggies. So, I would say that pizza can, in fact, be a healthy food that also delicious!
Cauliflower crust is the hot, new thing in the health and cooking world. Well, not really a new thing, but it has become increasingly popular lately. I decided to try my hand at coming up with a simple recipe for this veggie-based crust, and it turned out great!
Not only does this crust make this pizza gluten-free and grain-free, the abundance of cauliflower provides vitamins C and K, fiber, folate, potassium, beta-carotene, choline and more!
With the addition of the flaxseed in the crust, as well as fresh basil pesto ingredients, plus arugula and berries, this spring pizza proves to be a great source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, healthy fats and protein. It’s not only healthy, it’s also delicious and easier to make than you may think!
- 3 cups cauliflower rice (you can find at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 free-range egg
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
Basil Pesto Ingredients:
- 1½ cups fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon raw pine nuts
Fresh Pizza Toppings:
- Raw pine nuts
- Optional: slices of Parmesan cheese
*Opt for organic ingredients when possible.
- Heat cauliflower rice in a frying pan over medium to medium-high heat for approximately 6-to-10 minutes. This will soften the cauliflower. Let cool for five minutes.
- Whisk egg in a mixing bowl.
- Add Parmesan cheese, flaxseed and softened cauliflower into mixing bowl and mix together well.
- Place parchment paper on pizza pan and transfer dough onto pan.
- Pat dough into the shape of a pizza pie, making it approximately ¼-inch thick.
- Bake crust at 400 F for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is in the oven, make your pesto sauce by blending almond milk, basil, garlic, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese in a high-powered blender.
- Remove crust from oven and let cool.
- Spread pesto sauce evenly on crust and top with arugula, blackberries, raspberries, pine nuts and additional slices of Parmesan cheese if you’d like.
- Note: You can either eat it as is without warming up the toppings or you can place back in the oven for about 5-to-10 more minutes. Either option tastes great! The uncooked toppings give it a crisp, fresh taste, and the melted cheese and warm berries give it more of a comfort food taste (the warm berries remind me of a warm berry pie!). Totally your preference or you can’t go wrong trying both ways!
- Serve with your favorite sparkling white wine and enjoy!
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox.