Below, Glitter Guide contributor, Arin Agase, offers 10 easy ways to pay it forward in your community and beyond.
“Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” —Lucius Annaeus Seneca
I’m a firm believer that what you give out, you will receive back. We live in a world that recycles the gift of positive energy. Gratitude and abundance are equally connected; one cannot exist without the other. When you practice this, you’ll allow yourself to see the world in a different way. You’ll absorb goodness, kindness in humanity and prosperity. You can’t help but want to pay it forward! Let’s twist the never-ending violence into something positive, and shed some light on our fellow neighbors. After all, every bit helps!
- Write a positive Yelp review about a local business you love. These business owners rely on successful reviews to stay afloat, and it only takes a few minutes out of your busy day!
- With summer in our midst, make sure to keep a couple of dollars on hand for a local lemonade stand! There’s no better feeling as a kid than making sales. You’ll definitely make their day.
- Buy a housewarming gift for a new neighbor, or bake them something delicious, like a fresh loaf of bread. A warm welcome is the best welcome.
- Send an unexpected handwritten letter to someone you know. Let them know you’re thinking of them, and send some positive light their way.
- Compliment a stranger. Seriously, they’ll appreciate it.
- If you see a couple taking selfies, offer to take their picture. I recently did this at a restaurant when someone proposed. I went over to their table, and had them stand up and kiss. I know they wouldn’t have done this otherwise, and I just know they’ll cherish those pictures for years to come!
- Call a local shelter or facility (for example, an animal shelter or a senior living center), find out what they need and donate supplies.
- Ready for this one? It’s tough! Be a courteous driver, and let someone merge in front of you. Road rage isn’t the answer to a long day—you’ll get there when you get there! Fellow city-folks, we’ve got this!
- Babysit for free. I was chatting with a colleague who has a 12-month-old child, and I asked, “When’s the last time you and your husband went out on a date?” Needless to say, it had been over a year! I’m not a mother yet, but I realize the importance of keeping a marriage in check with alone time and date nights. I know she appreciated a fun night out with her hubby, and I also had a blast!
- Create a care package and send it to someone in need or to a place like a military unit or children’s hospital.
- Bonus: Smile! You never know who needs it that day.
While you're here, why not check these out:
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox.