Below, Glitter Guide contributor, Arin Agase, offers 10 easy ways to pay it forward in your community and beyond.
“Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” —Lucius Annaeus Seneca
I’m a firm believer that what you give out, you will receive back. We live in a world that recycles the gift of positive energy. Gratitude and abundance are equally connected; one cannot exist without the other. When you practice this, you’ll allow yourself to see the world in a different way. You’ll absorb goodness, kindness in humanity and prosperity. You can’t help but want to pay it forward! Let’s twist the never-ending violence into something positive, and shed some light on our fellow neighbors. After all, every bit helps!
- Write a positive Yelp review about a local business you love. These business owners rely on successful reviews to stay afloat, and it only takes a few minutes out of your busy day!
- With summer in our midst, make sure to keep a couple of dollars on hand for a local lemonade stand! There’s no better feeling as a kid than making sales. You’ll definitely make their day.
- Buy a housewarming gift for a new neighbor, or bake them something delicious, like a fresh loaf of bread. A warm welcome is the best welcome.
- Send an unexpected handwritten letter to someone you know. Let them know you’re thinking of them, and send some positive light their way.
- Compliment a stranger. Seriously, they’ll appreciate it.
- If you see a couple taking selfies, offer to take their picture. I recently did this at a restaurant when someone proposed. I went over to their table, and had them stand up and kiss. I know they wouldn’t have done this otherwise, and I just know they’ll cherish those pictures for years to come!
- Call a local shelter or facility (for example, an animal shelter or a senior living center), find out what they need and donate supplies.
- Ready for this one? It’s tough! Be a courteous driver, and let someone merge in front of you. Road rage isn’t the answer to a long day—you’ll get there when you get there! Fellow city-folks, we’ve got this!
- Babysit for free. I was chatting with a colleague who has a 12-month-old child, and I asked, “When’s the last time you and your husband went out on a date?” Needless to say, it had been over a year! I’m not a mother yet, but I realize the importance of keeping a marriage in check with alone time and date nights. I know she appreciated a fun night out with her hubby, and I also had a blast!
- Create a care package and send it to someone in need or to a place like a military unit or children’s hospital.
- Bonus: Smile! You never know who needs it that day.
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌