Find out how our contributor, Kara Stout, is making the most of this season’s watermelon crop with the addition of chocolate! Her summertime pops recipe is below.
Summer is just not summer without watermelon! Hydrating, refreshing and sweet, it’s the perfect beach day or poolside snack. It tastes amazing on its own, but I have to say adding a drizzle of chocolate can be extra delicious and so fun—not to mention that it’s the perfect complement to your next barbecue or summer soirée. Just add popsicle sticks for easy eating, and you’ve got yourself chocolate watermelon pops!
Chocolate Watermelon Pops
*Makes 8 pops
- 1 watermelon
- ½ dark chocolate bar (opt for an organic bar with 72-percent cacao content—it provides a great source of antioxidants!)
- Popsicle sticks
- Slice watermelon in half. Then, slice a section approximately 1-inch thick to make a large round circle. Next, cut into eight equal wedges.
- Cut a slit in the middle of each rind for the popsicle sticks.
- Insert a popsicle stick into each wedge.
- Melt your chocolate using a double boiler, or you can make your own double boiler by filling a small saucepan with water and placing a glass bowl over it. Break up your chocolate bar and place the pieces in the glass bowl. Bring the water to a boil and constantly stir as the chocolate melts.
- As soon as the chocolate is completely melted, use a spoon to drizzle chocolate over the watermelon pops.
- Place in fridge for about 15 to 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Take out and enjoy!