Looking for a new dairy-free ice cream flavor to indulge in this sweltering season? Our contributor, Kara Stout, shares a recipe for Blueberry Lavender Ice Cream that will have your mouth watering in no time!
Not much else is better than ice cream in the summer! One of my favorite treats to make is homemade ice cream because it’s much easier than you’d think—you can control the ingredients and you can play around with so many different fun flavors.
Speaking of flavors, this Blueberry Lavender Ice Cream has got to be my favorite ice cream to date. It’s amazing that just five simple ingredients can create such a sweet, delicious and flavorful dessert. I also have to add that it’s a much healthier dessert, too, because no dairy or refined sugar is needed! It’s made with coconut cream, which is a great source of healthy fats and is naturally sweetened by the blueberries and a little pure maple syrup. The fresh blueberries not only give it that beautiful purple color, they also provide an abundance of antioxidants and are a great source of fiber and vitamins A and C.
The dried lavender elevates the taste, giving it a little gourmet feel (just be sure to use culinary lavender). Also, a little goes a long way, so I added a small amount to this recipe to give it just a touch of that lavender taste. In addition to its beautiful scent and flavor, this calming herb promotes relaxation, decreased stress and improved sleep. I’ll take two scoops of that, please!
Blueberry Lavender Dairy-Free Ice Cream
*Makes 5 scoops or 2 to 3 servings
- 1 heaping cup unsweetened organic coconut cream (1 to 2 cans)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 cups fresh organic blueberries
- ¼ teaspoon dried culinary lavender
- For the coconut cream, you want to choose an organic, full-fat unsweetened coconut milk in the can. Place the can in the fridge and leave for at least 24 hours. One can of coconut milk may provide enough cream for 1 cup. If not, use a second can.
- The cream and water will separate in the can, so be sure not to shake the can because you just want the cream that is on top.
- Open the can gently and scoop out the cream into a measuring cup. Stop when you begin to see the watery liquid.
- Blend blueberries in a high-powered blender until it’s all blended.
- Add in the vanilla, maple syrup and coconut cream and blend well.
- Add in dried lavender and blend well.
- Transfer ice cream mix to a mixing bowl and whisk.
- Pour into ice cream maker and churn for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, that’s fine. You can simply place in the freezer for at least 2 to 4 hours or overnight, and it should still give you a good ice cream consistency. You may have to let it thaw a bit if you leave it in overnight.
- Scoop ice cream into your favorite summer bowl or ice cream cone, sprinkle on some extra-dried lavender and enjoy!