The dog days of summer are upon us and with that comes the need for fuss-free hair that’s casual, pretty and (ideally!) heat-free. Below, Maritza Buelvas of Beauty For Bloggers, shows us how to create three updo hairstyles that are high on “cool” factor, but low on time. Tell us: Will you be giving these styles a try in the summer days ahead? Do your plans also include sailing away on a watermelon boat? We’d love to hear all about it, so chime in below!
Supplies You’ll Need:
- Clear or nude-colored elastic bands
- Hair pins and a hair clip, if desired, for styling assistance
- Teasing comb (try Fromm Diane Dual Teeth Teasing Comb)
- Anti-humidity spray (try White Sands Infinity Firm Finish Hair Spray)
The Brunch Bun
- Place all of your hair in a low ponytail, leaving some front fringe out. We’ll be adding detailing with these extra strands later.
- Split your ponytail in half, teasing both sections for volume and wearability.
- Take the bottom section and flip it underneath to form a low bun and pin it in place using hairpins.
- Take your top (remaining) section and loop it around your elastic hair band and pin it in place. The end result should be a low, full bun that skims your neck.
- Lastly, twist your front fringe and pin it loosely in place at the side. Hold in place with rose-colored hair pins, or any other color you prefer. Let hair pins show, serving as a fashion statement.
The Three Strand Nautical Braid
- Form a low-rise ponytail and create three 3-D French braids (braiding from underneath versus over top).
- Secure the ponytail and braids with clear elastic bands. Leave front fringe out to add a little drama later on.
- Pancake (widen) each braid to add fullness, and secure the three braids together at the tips with one clear elastic band.
- To finish, take the front fringe and braid it in the same 3-D fashion and secure it to your ponytail.
The Gathered Garden Bun
- Form a high-rise ponytail and secure with an elastic band. Tease hair to add fullness and dimension.
- Split your ponytail into three sections. Twist each section and pin into place at the front, middle and back of the crown.
- Secure all sections with criss-crossed bobby pins to keep your messy style in place. Let your hair casually fall into place for a relaxed, sexy vibe.
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌