Contributor, Alexandra Leshner, gives us the lowdown on all of the heat-loving products that we should be using on our locks. Her seven picks and tips are below!
As a straight-haired girl with a strong connection to my flat iron, my tresses are no stranger to heat damage. Between blow-drying my hair nightly and touch-ups with the straightener in the morning, my fine strands take a beating. So, when I noticed my hair was looking a bit more frazzled than usual, I knew something had to change. I vowed to incorporate a heat protectant product into my daily haircare routine.
These sprays, creams and oils to follow are all formulated to shield your hair from hot styling tools, and many of them have added ingredients to help strengthen strands and repair damage and split ends, too. If your hair is facing similar struggles, have a go at the seven heat protectant products below.
- Oribe Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray ($68): A little spritz of this award-winning spray and you’ll have all your bases covered. It nourishes split ends and softens your hair all while adding a layer of protection against the heat of your styling tools. Mist this over damp hair before drying and you’ll be well on your way to a shiny, voluminous blowout.
- Kenra Platinum Blow-Dry Spray ($22): A staple in my bathroom cabinet for years now, Kenra’s sweet-smelling blow-dry spray cuts drying time in half so you can be out the door in record time. Bonus: It also detangles, smooths and softens hair, and resists humidity.
- Amika Heat Defense Serum ($30): Amika’s signature ingredient is sea buckthorn berry (also known as obliphica), an omega-rich super fruit that boasts a powerful concentration of vitamin C and more than 190 active compounds that nourish and shield hair against free radicals. The brand’s heat protectant serum does just that, in addition to fighting frizz and defending hair from damage caused by heat styling.
- Living Proof Restore Instant Protection ($26): This lightweight spray serves a dual purpose: When used as a pre-styling mist, it offers heat protection up to 450 degrees, and when used as a finishing product, it blocks humidity and harmful UV rays for up to 24 hours. I love that it smooths frayed hair cuticles and adds a hint of shine, too.
- L’Oréal Advanced Hairstyle Blow Dry It Quick Dry Primer Spray ($4.99): Next time you hit up your local drugstore, grab a bottle or two of this weightless priming spray, which defends against heat damage and significantly decreases blow-dry time. And at such an affordable price, there’s no reason to go without it.
- Bumble and bumble Straight Blow Dry Styling Balm ($31): On mornings that are especially hot and humid, this non-greasy balm is a must—it’ll protect your hair during the styling process and keep frizz and flyaways at bay as the day wears on. Tip: If you have curly or coarse hair, this product will do wonders for maintaining your smooth and straight style post-blowout.
- Drybar Hot Toddy ($30): This yummy cream (you’ll get whiffs of sandalwood, jasmine and vanilla) not only safeguards your hair against heat from styling tools, but also contains artichoke leaf extract to help preserve the hair cuticle and prevent dehydration. Smooth a dime-sized amount through damp hair and you’re ready for a blow-dry.