Our contributor Kara Stout teaches us how to make a spiced seasonal cake from scratch! Read on for her simple-to-follow directions.
Full disclosure, this is my first-ever cake recipe! I’ve made all kinds of desserts in the past, but never a three-layer cake with homemade icing. I tell you this to encourage those of you who might feel overwhelmed at the thought of making a homemade cake. Fear not! This cake is super easy to make, not to mention a lot of fun, too!
My goal was to use much healthier ingredients and make it taste just as delicious as a regular cake. To my surprise, the goal was met! I love how it turned out. It’s one of my favorite recipes I’ve created to date. I also checked with my husband, family and lots of friends, and all were in agreement that it’s delicious. I had to make sure before sharing with you!
Instead of using refined, white flour, I used almond flour. Almond flour is gluten-free and a great source of protein and fiber. I used natural sweeteners, lots of fall spices, added in flaxseed for some additional protein and healthy fats, and used health-boosting coconut oil. I also folded in fresh apple cubes to the batter. Surely the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” applies to apples in cakes, too!
For the frosting, I used Greek yogurt instead of all that butter and sugar typically found in frosting. I added in maple syrup, cinnamon, a splash of apple juice and some organic powdered sugar to make the perfectly sweet, healthier frosting for this cake.
This fruit-studded seasonal cake is perfect to bring to holiday parties, make for a holiday dessert, bake for a friend just because or simply to enjoy at home all to yourself curled up with a good book and a glass of mulled wine or spiked apple cider!
Spiced Cinnamon Apple Cake
*Makes one three-layer cake
- 4½ cups almond flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups packed coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large organic, cage-free eggs
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large organic Honeycrisp apples
- 2 cups plain, organic Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons organic apple juice (no sugar added)
- 2 heaping teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon organic powdered sugar
- 1 large organic Honeycrisp apple
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 3 9-inch round cake pans
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, flaxseed and sea salt.
- Add eggs to dry ingredients and mix well using mixer.
- Add coconut oil, and mix really well making sure it’s thoroughly mixed in.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla and almond milk. Using mixer, mix well until it becomes a smooth batter and is completely combined.
- Chop apples into small cubes. Fold apple cubes into batter.
- Grease bottom and sides of pans with coconut oil. Lightly flour bottom and sides with almond flour. This will help easily release the cakes from the pans.
- Divide batter into pans and bake cakes for 25 to 30 minutes (oven times may vary). To make sure they’re done, insert a toothpick into the center of each cake, making sure it comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in the pans for about 15 minutes. Then remove from pans and cool completely on cooling racks.
- Note: For a one-layer or smaller cake, just halve ingredients.
To make the frosting:
- In medium mixing bowl, add Greek yogurt, maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon and powdered sugar, and mix well using a mixer.
To assemble cake:
- Take bottom layer of cake and add a large scoop of frosting to middle. Using a spatula, evenly spread frosting.
- Add second layer of cake and repeat steps to add frosting.
- Add top layer of cake and frost.
- Top with crunchy apple cubes and sprinkles of cinnamon.
- Slice, share and enjoy!