Below, our contributor, Natalie Borton, shares eight brands that make guilt-free gifting a cinch this time of year!
Giving is the name of the game this time of year. As you consider gifts for others—or even brands to purchase from for your own personal needs—why not choose one that is making a social impact and giving back to those in need? Here are eight brands we love that are doing just that.
- Lemlem donates 5 percent of all sales and proceeds from special promotions to The Liya Kebede Foundation to benefit the foundation’s work addressing top health concerns of women in Africa—including access to life-saving maternity care!
- Warby Parker offers designer eyewear at a revolutionary price, while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. Almost 1 billion people worldwide lack access to glasses, which means that 15 percent of the world’s population cannot effectively learn or work. To help address this problem, Warby Parker partners with nonprofits like VisionSpring to ensure that, for every pair of glasses sold, a pair is distributed to someone in need.
- LSTN produces premium audio products and uses proceeds from sales to change lives through the power of music. For every purchase, you can help provide hearing aids to a person in need through its charity partner, Starkey Hearing Foundation.
- Solly Baby creates baby wrap carriers for the modern parent. It donates $1 from the sale of every wrap purchased on its site to Every Mother Counts (EMC), a nonprofit organization founded by Christy Turlington Burns. The organization is dedicated to making pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, and 100 percent of every dollar donated goes directly to supporting one of EMC’s programs.
- My own company, Natalie Borton, produces minimalist, limited-edition, California-inspired jewelry designed and handmade in San Diego. I donate a portion of every sale to The National Eating Disorders Association.
- 31 Bits’ jewelry is carefully crafted by hand by skilled artisans in Uganda, Indonesia and Bali. The company creates work opportunities with fair and sustainable wages to artisans worldwide, as well as offers access to counseling, healthcare and education.
- Cora makes organic tampons (in super-sleek black packaging!) and provides pads to girls in need. For every month’s supply of Cora you receive, the company gives a month’s supply of sustainable pads to a girl in a developing country.
- The Created Co. is a drinkware brand that strives to inspire, connect and empower people because many of life’s most meaningful moments occur alongside a drink. It donates 10 percent of net profits from every purchase to charity: water to help bring clean, safe drinking water to people in developing countries.