Toni Ko lives and breathes entrepreneurship. It’s who she is at her very core! Hungry for a new business endeavor after selling her first company, NYX Cosmetics, to L’Oréal for a reported $500 million in 2014, Toni honed in on one of her other loves: Sunglasses.
Now as the founder, CEO and chief creative director of PERVERSE, Toni spends her fast-paced days building a socially responsible company focused on creating chic, eye-popping sunglasses at affordable prices. It’s no surprise that earlier this year Forbes named her one of America’s 60 most successful, self-made women! Read on for an inside look into this chic trailblazer’s morning and evening beauty routines.
What is the first beauty product you reach for after you wake up in the morning?
The first thing I reach for each morning is a glass of room temperature water. I always keep a water jug on my bedside table. Hydration is key!
How do you protect your skin during this traditionally dry time of year?
I stick with the same skincare routine regardless of the season, but I apply a little more face cream during the winter months. I’ve been using Crème de la Mer for the past few years and absolutely love it! The secret is to use double the amount they recommend.
Are you a shower-in-the-morning type of gal, or do you prefer washing up at night?
I have to wash my hair everyday, so I take a full shower in the morning and just a body rinse at night.
Give us a run-down of your everyday makeup routine.
I’ve had the exact same makeup routine for the past 20 years! I start with Urban Decay powder foundation then fill in my brows with Shiseido Natural Eyebrow Pencil. Next, I apply my favorite Bobbi Brown eye shadow, then use Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner. I finish off my eyes with Lancôme mascara, brush on some blush and bronzer and top it all off with MAC lip gloss. I think I can do my makeup with my eyes closed!
What can you absolutely not start your day without?
Caffeine! I drink tea and coffee.
What are your favorite makeup removal products?
What are your go-to wintertime haircare products?
If you could only use one beauty product before bed, what would it be?
Crème de la Mer all the way.
Any favorite de-stressing scents or beauty products you love to indulge in before you hit the sheets?
I absolutely love Jo Malone’s Red Roses fragrance and I spray it on my pillow and sheets every night before bed. It’s the BEST rose fragrance ever made.
Take us through your evening skincare routine, step by step!
My evening ritual takes about 20 minutes.
- First, I take my eye makeup off with Lancôme’s eye makeup remover.
- Next, I use Neutrogena makeup remover wipes all over my face.
- Third, I wash my face with warm water using Dove soap.
- Splash my face with cold water.
- Gently dab the water off my face with a soft towel (do not rub!).
- Glide astringent over my face with high-quality cotton pads (cotton balls don’t work well for this).
- Splash my face with essence then gently “slap” (harder than a tap, but softer than a slap) my face. Literally! This helps with blood circulation. Remember to only use your fingers to do this, not your palm.
- Dab eye cream around my entire eye area including my lower lid and upper lid.
- Apply a generous amount of Crème de la Mer original formula cream.
- Apply Crème de la Mer lifting serum.
- Moisturize my lips.
- Apply the Crème de la Mer body cream.
- Lastly, I brush out my hair and braid my hair on the side for bedtime.