With a new year comes the urge to simplify. From a healthier diet to a new workout regimen or more organized home, there’s so much we can do to kick the year off with a fresh start. Today, we’re breaking down five easy ways to detox your closet and make room for the clothes you actually want to wear!
- DONATE: The easiest way to make room in your closet is by donating! Not only is it refreshing to get rid of the pieces you don’t wear, but knowing you’re helping someone in need is such a great feeling.
- SELL/CONSIGN: Everyone likes starting the new year with a few extra bucks, right? There are so many great apps and sites now to help sell the pieces that are in great condition, but you just don’t wear anymore. Some of our favorites are:
- Poshmark: This app allows you to take photos of your pieces, list them for the price you want to sell them for and then wait until someone buys them. Once they buy, a prepaid label is emailed to you and you just need to drop it in the mail!
- thredUP: If you’re not into waiting until an item sells, thredUP is the way to go. A bag is sent to you to fill up with all your pieces and then you send it back to the thredUP team to go through. Once they pick the best items, you can see what pieces they kept and the money you made. For the items they don’t want, you can choose to have thredUP donate them or return them to you.
- eBay: The original way to sell items you no longer want, this is still a great tool to use to sell your favorite designer pieces, and maybe pick up a new piece, too.
- TRADE: You know it’s always more fun to borrow your friends pieces, so why not trade? Have friends bring over pieces they no longer wear and let them trade with each other for a fun wardrobe change without spending money!
- ORGANIZE BY SEASON: One of the reasons we find ourselves not wearing a lot of the pieces in our closet is because it’s overcrowded. Simplify your wardrobe by only keeping seasonal pieces visible and storing other items in vacuum seal bags until it’s time to switch over. That way, you’re not pulling out a bikini when you’re in need of a turtleneck!
- COLOR-COORDINATE: Another easy way to clean up your closet is by color-coordinating. Not only is this appealing on the eyes, it makes getting dressed in the morning much easier because you can quickly pull coordinating pieces without things getting lost.