It’s time to recover from all of that flavorful holiday fun! Below, our contributor, Arin Kleinman, offers 10 tasty (yet healthy) recipes to make this new year the most delicious and satisfying one yet.
One of the most common goals for any new year is to improve eating habits and to rid sugar from our diets once and for all. While I’m all for indulging in tasty goodness, my body is most definitely ready for a fresh (pun intended) start. Here’s the catch: keeping New Year’s resolutions can be challenging! Happily, we’re here to help.
First, make sure you set attainable, realistic goals that you’ll actually follow. Going from our current lifestyles to completely cutting something out (dairy, gluten, sugar, etc.) doesn’t have a reputable success record. In fact, focusing on wholesome, home-cooked meals is a great place to start! Focus on meals that taste good, so you’re not making the ultimate compromise. Healthy can equal delicious! Below, I’m sharing 10 recipes to start your year off right—without a compromise.
- Healthy Banana Muffins: Breakfast of champions? Perhaps. These maple-sweetened banana muffins are all types of delicious. A great ‘grab-and-go’ breakfast for those non-stop mornings. The best part of this recipe? It calls for basic ingredients and you can mix them all together in one bowl. See? Eating healthy can be easy!
- Creamy Tomato & Kale Bisque: With a windchill of -8 F in Chicago today, this sounds absolutely divine. Partly smooth, partly chunky and loaded with vibrant kale and a secret heart-healthy ingredient for a lusciously cream base, this recipe screams “yum!”
- Black Bean Burrito with Guacamole: This 25-minute meal is such a fun dinner for the entire family. It’s healthy and hearty. No compromises here—bottoms up!
- Greek Yogurt Peanut Butter Dip: A great recipe to prepare ahead and store at the office! If you’re a fan of apples and peanut butter, you’re in for a treat. This recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and salty without the heaviness. We suggest eating it with pretzel sticks or apple slices.
- Lighter Stuffed Pasta Shells: You don’t even have to give up your pasta! Seriously, this is on our menu for dinner next week, and I can’t wait to try it out. It’s loaded with vegetables, cottage cheese (a surprisingly good stand-in for ricotta) and tomatoes. Oh, and the parmesan adds a burst of flavor that will have you dancing in your chair.
- Winter Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup with Asiago Crostini: Soup is such an easy dinner option, and makes for excellent leftovers, too, which is always a goal of mine. This chicken noodle soup is packed full of incredibly healthy things (fresh ginger, herbs, lemon, veggies galore), and we’re all about a cozy meal in.
- Triple Berry Spinach Smoothie: A cold, healthy and refreshing berry smoothie—you won’t even taste the spinach.
- Brussels Sprouts Salad: This one features the ultimate greens medley: cilantro, avocado, Brussels sprouts and peppers. The salad is jam-packed with nutrients, so your body will most definitely thank you.
- Pineapple Beef Stir-Fry: What a fun and unique combination, right? It’s packed with veggies, tender beef and pineapple, making this sweet-and-sour stir fry ideal for activity-packed weeks. Plus, it’s ready in less than 15 minutes!
- Kung Pao Chicken Zoodles: Enjoy these noodles without guilt (the “noodles” are actually made from zucchini!). Each bowl is filled with chicken and veggies, and the sauce has the flavor combo of salty, sweet, sour and spicy. It’s also topped with crushed peanuts—yum!
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌