Our contributor, Arin Kleinman, offers helpful, healthy advice for putting the focus back on you for a change!
In honor of the new year, I’m sharing a few surprising (although somewhat strange!) health hacks that I’ve picked up in the last year. These five simple hacks are sure to lead to a healthier you, but we’d love to know below: what are your favorite health hacks? The stranger the better, so tell all!
- Smell the skin of an orange for a natural mood booster! Orange essential oil can increase alertness, mood and reduce anxiety. You can also purchase bottled oil, and dab a drop on your wrist for the same effect. Cool, right?
- Technology is rough on your eyes, so make sure you’re practicing the 20/20/20 rule. Take a 20-second break every 20 minutes, and let your eyes wander over to something 20 feet into the distance.
- Put a tissue with a few drops of lavender oil inside your pillowcase before bed. Aromatherapy will help you sleep peacefully all night long. This is an easy DIY project!
- Take a water bottle with you everywhere you go. Carrying one is a great way to stay hydrated throughout the day, and investing in a durable bottle (such as steel or glass) helps the environment, too. I’ve noticed that using a straw helps me drink a lot more water. Lazy? Maybe, but it works!
- Eat meals without distractions. Mindful eating means sitting down at a table instead of in front of a screen. Chewing your food slowly instead of scarfing it down will also curb overeating. Cook and eat in a good mood, eat your favorite food last and drink more water. These little tricks will improve health over time, and you’ll notice results.