Glitter Guide contributor, Arin Kleinman, shares her favorite uses for one of the most versatile (and inexpensive!) beauty weapons out there. Read on to discover all the amazing benefits of Epsom salt!
Ready for the best kept beauty secret? It’s a hidden gem located in your drugstore that costs less than your daily cup of joe! Not only does it combat a number of health dilemmas, but it also does wonders for your beauty regimen. Meet your latest miracle worker (on a budget): Epsom salt. Heard of it? Epsom salt is composed of only two minerals: magnesium and sulfate. It’s been around since the 1500s, and it’s here to stay. Epsom salt has a number of practical uses, and we’re sharing our favorite benefits below. Have anything to add? We’d love to hear from you!
- Soothe Sore Muscles: This is perhaps my favorite benefit of them all. Soaking in an Epsom salt bath can do wonders for your sore muscles/joints. If you’re in pain, the salt fights to reduce inflammation. This is a go-to for athletes around the globe, so go fill your tub!
- Reduce Bloating: Feeling blah? Soaking in a quick Epsom salt bath can be a quick fix for reducing water weight/bloat. The salt actually pulls toxins out of your system. Add 1/2 cup for every 50 pounds of your body weight. Again, who doesn’t love a bath after a long day or workout? I’ve heard that celebrities do this before red carpet appearances, too.
- Exfoliate Dead Skin: Say adios to spending money on those fancy exfoliators! Simply mix a handful of Epsom salt with a tablespoon of bath or olive oil and rub all over your wet skin to exfoliate.
- Relax the Mind: Want in on my nightly routine? Put electronics away, turn the lights down low, put some music on and soak in an Epsom salt bath (reference point number two above for ratio instructions!). The magnesium helps lower cortisol, the stress hormone, which will allow your mind to relax and compress. It’s a total game changer, guys.
- Improve Bone Health: Our bodies need magnesium to help with bone health, and a simple Epsom salt bath will do just that. Easy!
- Remove Splinters: This is a great trick for the kids. Soak the affected area of their skin in an Epsom salt bath and it will remove the splinter pain-free!
- Hand Wash: Looking for an inexpensive organic hand wash? Just mix Epsom salt with baby oil! Your skin will thank you.
- Hair Volumizer: We weren’t kidding when we said Epsom salt had many uses! Combine equal parts of deep conditioner and Epsom salt, and warm it up in a pan. Put the warm mixture on your hair for 20 minutes, then rinse out thoroughly. Although I haven’t personally tried this trick, I’ve heard great reviews.
- Fertilize Houseplants: Plants need nutrients like magnesium to stay healthy, and you’ve already guessed it: Epsom salt makes up the primary nutrients in most plant foods! Simply sprinkle some salt once a week to help nourish those houseplants, flowers and vegetables. Who would’ve thought?
- Combat Plant Pests: Have some uninvited intruders? Use Epsom salts on your lawn, and in the garden to safely/naturally get rid of plant pests.