Rachel Parcell created her fashion and beauty blog Pink Peonies in 2010. Seven years later, she’s established herself as a powerhouse influencer with more than 857,000 followers on Instagram and an highly engaged fanbase on her blog. Today, she’s chatting with contributor,Caylee Ashwell, and taking us to her snowy hometown in the mountains of Utah to share her favorite winter beauty secrets with Glitter Guide.
As a Utah native, you’re used to snowy winters that require a seasonal revamp to your beauty routine, specifically skincare. What is your go-to face product that comes out to play when the temperatures drop?
I love the La Mer Crème de la Mer Moisturizing Cream or SK-II Facial Treatment Essence for winter, but I usually use them year round! They are both great moisturizers that aren’t thick and heavy and help your makeup stay smooth and in place all day!
The weather doesn’t stop you from wearing a pop of lipstick. How do you keep your lips from drying out underneath the bold colors?
I know this may be weird, but Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Nipple Cream—I swear by it! You can get it at your grocery store, Walgreens, Target, pretty much anywhere! I put it on my lips after I wash my face at night and before I put lipstick on. If my lips are feeling especially dry, I will put it on over my lipstick, like gloss.
Let’s talk haircare. Your pictures are all free of frizzy curls or staticy strands. How do you keep your long locks looking hydrated and healthy, despite the extra layers, beanies and scarves?
I use Pureology Nano Works Gold Shampoo and Conditioner, which adds shine and body to my hair. Before I blow-dry my hair, I brush it out using my Wet Brush and use Kérastase Elixir Ultime Oleo Complexe. It keeps my hair shiny and takes the frizz out while protecting it from the heat of my blow dryer, curling iron or straightener!
After showering or taking a long bubble bath, what’s your favorite lotion or body butter to keep your skin soft and smooth?
I love a good bubble bath, especially in the winter. I try and take one every night! I use Honest Bubble Bath and light my Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia Candle—it’s amazing! After any bath or shower, I use Kiehl’s Creme de Corps. It is my favorite body lotion ever, and I’ve tried so many! I always stock up during the Nordstrom Half Yearly sale. I buy at least four or five to make sure I can always have one on hand! I use it on my babies, too!
You’re headed to the mountains for an afternoon of skiing. What’s the one beauty item you always bring with you on the slopes?
I always have Lanolin Ointment with me because my lips get dry and chapped quickly when I’m skiing.
Favorite Beauty Resources:
- Moisturizers that are hydrating, but not heavy. La Mer Crème de la Mer Moisturizing Cream ($170, 1oz) / SK-II Facial Treatment Essence ($179)
- Her best kept secret to super soft lips. Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Ointment ($12.49)
- Boost hair shine in the shower. Pureology Nano Works Gold Shampoo ($44) and Conditioner ($47)
- Prevent breakage while detangling wet hair. Wet Brush ($11.99)
- Add a heat protectant before styling. Kérastase Elixir Ultime Oleo Complexe ($28)
- Keep skin moisturized in the tub by adding bubble bath. Honest Bubble Bath ($11.95)
- Light a candle to set the mood. Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia Scented Candle ($65)
- In cold, dry temperatures always follow-up a hot bath or shower with a thick body lotion. Kiehl’s Creme de Corps ($29.50)