Last week, Chevrolet invited us to test out the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV on a quick roadtrip from Laguna Beach up to Santa Barbara for a luxurious stay at Bacara Resort & Spa! How could we say ‘no’? Today, Abby is sharing how to make the most of a weekend stay in Santa Barbara. Be prepared to be inspired to plan a summer road trip with your girls—and a stay at the Bacara.
One of the great things about Santa Barbara is that it’s the perfect weekend trip for pretty much anywhere in Southern California! Only a few hours away (depending on where you are coming from), you immediately feel on vacation as you take in the beautiful coastline and beaches and wander around the quaint and charming city. For Abby’s trip to Santa Barbara, it was a smooth cruise up the coast in the new Chevrolet Bolt EV, made easy by hooking up her tunes and navigation to Apple CarPlay. While she’d never driven an electric car before, she was super impressed by how smooth and easy the drive was. Setting up a ChargePoint card before hitting the road made finding a charging station and paying for a charge stress-free!
Where To Stay
There are many beautiful places to stay in the Santa Barbara area, but you can’t beat the beauty and luxury of Bacara Resort & Spa. With its beautiful pools and cabanas overlooking the beach, you’ll feel instantly relaxed. The rooms itself are incredible, most with an outdoor patio or balcony, a fireplace, amazing soaking tub and the most comfortable bed ever. Plus, you can’t beat the hotel toiletries, which are all Fresh beauty products. We may have snagged some to take home with us.
Additionally, you can’t go to the Bacara without a visit to Angel Oak. Overlooking the bluff on the coast, the view is as spectacular as its cuisine!
Things To Do
Beach, Pool and Spa Time: If you are staying at the Bacara, quality time by the pool and in the spa are a must! We highly recommend the Diamond Rose Experience, which includes an exfoliating massage followed by an application of rose oil—it made our skin feel smooth and rejuvenated. We also recommend the Bespoke Facial, which made our face look extra hydrated, supple and glowing.
Wine Tasting and Vineyard Hopping: There are an abundance of places to do some wine tasting in the area and if you are willing to take a short drive, you can’t beat the vineyards and wineries in the Santa Ynez Valley! One current favorite is the spectacular Sunstone Vineyards & Winery where you feel like you are transported to the South of France! Besides the beautiful grounds, its wine selection is fabulous, the food delicious and the staff is beyond friendly!
Hiking, yoga and other outdoor activities: One of the great things about a weekend getaway is getting to spend some much-needed time away from your desk and office and get some fresh air. And if you ask us, there’s no better place to do that than in Santa Barbara. After participating in a relaxing yoga session at the Bacara on the bluff, we took a short drive in our Chevy Bolt EVs to Refugio State Beach for a little hike along the coastline, which is absolutely beautiful—truly breathtaking!
Explore the town of Santa Barbara and Montecito: We’re absolutely smitten with the charm and quaintness of Santa Barbara and Montecito. When you’re visiting the area, definitely allow time for walking around town, shopping and enjoying some of the amazing restaurants and bars the town has to offer. Our beauty contributor, Caylee, went to school in the area and shared all the hot spots with Abby before the trip. See our team recommendations below:
- Coffee: The French Press or Handlebar Coffee Roasters
- Trendy Restaurant: The Lark has tasty food and fun décor. In the heart of downtown, this place is definitely worth a drink, if not dinner!
- Best View and Ambience: If the weather is nice, definitely stop by for lunch at Boathouse Hendry’s Beach. The restaurant itself is right on the beach and is the perfect spot for fish and chips and a glass of rosé.
- Best Entertainment and Drinks: The Funk Zone, which is a little arts district in downtown Santa Barbara with lots of micro-wineries, art galleries and eateries.
- Best Tapas: Milk & Honey has yummy shared plates, lots of cheese options and craft cocktails.
- Best Sushi: Arigato Sushi is a buzzing restaurant that usually has a little wait, but is totally worth it.
- Shopping: There’s no better place to do some shopping than State Street. In addition to some of the more popular chain shops, there are several great local boutiques. One of our favorites is: Wendy Foster.
- If you stop in Montecito: Check out the Montecito Coffee Shop and San Ysidro Pharmacy. The coffee shop is super cute and attached to a pharmacy with an old-school vibe. It carries a variety of brands and European-imported products, as well as other goodies. Bonus, just around the corner there is a swoon-worthy Jenni Kayne store!
- If you stop in Summerland: Check out the Summerland Beach Cafe, which is super cute!
Have you been on a getaway to Santa Barbara? What are your favorite things to do there? Share with us in the comments below!