The summer season is the perfect time to get back in shape after the cold winter months of wearing heavy sweaters and pants, but it’s not always easy to shed those unwanted pounds or tone certain parts of the body. Today, Arin is sharing some tips on how to speed up your metabolism to help you look and feel better!
Ever wonder why your BFF can down a pint of ice cream each night without gaining a pound (ugh, not fair!)? The answer lies in your metabolism—the little engine that could. It literally burns calories all day long, believe it or not. Of course, genetics, age, weight, diet and exercise habits all play a part, but there are easy things we can do each day to get those metabolism gears going! What would you add to the list?
- Hydrate: We’ve talked about the power of hydrating, but it seriously does wonders for your energy! All it takes is one or two glasses of water (preferably with lemon) as soon as you get up. In fact, drinking six cups of water can add up to dropping 50 calories per day (which is five pounds a year). If you’re not much of a water fan, nibble on fruits/veggies (they also contain water).
- Stretch: Yoga is an ideal morning exercise that can play a vital role in energizing your morning routine! Yoga has a long list of health benefits. It can help promote positive thinking, balance, endurance and flexibility to name a few. All it takes is a few stretches and 15 solid minutes. These are a few of my favorites. By starting your day with these stretches, you’ll feel more tranquil, positive and gain a burst of energy to fuel your commute.
- Wake up early: You guys, no more battling snooze! The benefits of waking up early outweigh your shut-eye by miles. When you wake up early, you’ll have more time to focus on the present and be prepared for the day ahead. Take your time to eat a healthy breakfast, engage in some ‘you’ time—chances are, there won’t be much in the chaos ahead. Check out our post on ‘10 ways to wake up happier every morning.’ You may learn a thing or two.
- Stand up: Use public transportation every day? Give up your seat! It’s not only thoughtful, but it gives your body the opportunity to put in a little more work each day. Don’t you just love a win/win scenario? Us, too.
- Meditate: Similar to yoga, meditation helps set your mind for the day. It’s also rejuvenating and energizing. If you need somewhere to start, check out the ‘Beginner’s Guide to Meditation.’ Bonus: this can be done in less than five minutes! Sometimes, it’s just the details that take you a long, long way.