Most people today are aware of the damage that can occur from exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays and tanning beds, so many are opting for a healthier and safer option: sunless tanners. Sunless tanners, like spray tan formulas, give the skin a sun-kissed radiant glow without exposing it to the sun. Glitter Guide contributor, Caylee Ashwell, is here to offer some tips on how to maintain and extend the life of a spray tan treatment.
It’s true, girls just wanna have sun! The summer months are upon us and bronze is bound to be the color of the season. To keep your skin safe and free of UV damage, we’re sharing five beauty secrets to perfecting and extending your spray tan:
- Choose your salon wisely. As with all beauty buys, it’s best to do some research before selecting a tanning salon. The best way to guarantee an even tan is to go to an airbrush salon where they use a handheld spray tan system. This allows for customization and ensures a splotch-free finish! Bonus points if the salon uses organic, high-quality and natural spray tan solutions. Our fave is blushtan, so find out if they have a location near you!
- Exfoliate before you glow. To make sure your tan goes on even, exfoliate from head to toe before heading to your appointment. We like using Fytt Hit Restart Detoxifying Body Scrub Treatment ($54) because it buffs off dry skin while detoxifying and nourishing the skin below. It’s made with ingredients like kale and cucumber—like a green juice for your bod.
- Bare essentials. Come in as fresh as a daisy! Shower and shave beforehand (using a razor can flake off the tan) and remove all lotion, makeup and deodorant. The chemical reaction between the tanning solution and your deodorant can cause armpits to turn greenish—likely not the look you’re going for.
- Dare to be oil-free. After getting your bronze on, the aftercare is essential in making your faux tan last. Use lotions and moisturizers that are oil-free, as oils cause the spray tan solution to break down. Also avoid using a lot of products that contain sodium laureth sulfate, an agent that’s known to strip your tan. We recommend using SheaMoisture’s Shea Butter (Target, $10.99) twice daily to keep skin flake-free.
- Not so hot. Keep your showers to a minimum and drop the temperature a few notches. Avoid the hot tub and long bubble baths until you’re ready to see the color fade away. And, get your mani/pedi done before you “sun” so you don’t have to worry about whiter skin around your feet and hands.