This week marks the unofficial start to summer, and it’s important to update more than just your clothing to fit the season. It’s critical to update your beauty routine as well, to ensure your skin is ready for the warm months ahead. Glitter Guide contributor, Caylee Ashwell, offers tips on preparing your skin for the summer. Find them below!
Summer is on the horizon! Much like you prep your skin for the grueling winter months, it’s important you update your beauty routine before the weather strikes hot. See how we’re getting our skin prepped and primed for long days in the sunshine:
- Get a super fresh start. Shorts and skirts and bikinis, oh my! Summer means bare legs and we’re obsessed with the way Frank Body Original Coffee Scrub ($16.95) makes them look! This magical blend of sugar, salt, coffee beans and natural oils buffs off the dry stuff to reveal supple, smooth skin.
- Light feels right. Stow your thick and hefty moisturizers away with your winter coats! Using a moisturizer that’s too heavy in the summer can cause skin to feel oily because it melts right off. Instead, opt for a lightweight formula like Mario Badescu Oil-Free Moisturizer SPF 30 ($28). It’s a best-selling product because it provides lasting hydration without overwhelming the skin. It’s also enriched with green tea extract, an antioxidant superstar that fights off UV and free radical damages.
- Pucker up. Your lips take the brunt of long summer days more than anything else. Hydrate and protect with a SPF heavy lip balm like Kiehl’s Butterstick Lip Treatment SPF 25 ($19.95). It comes in six shades, including an untinted version if you prefer a nude look.
- Mask me anything. A hydrating mask should be a weekly beauty ritual. Pick one that’s loaded with hydrating ingredients to restore moisture to sun-drenched skin. Peter Thomas Roth’s Cucumber Gel Mask ($52) is ideal for calming and soothing the skin because it’s made with aloe vera, cucumber, papaya and chamomile.
- Always use protection. SPF is your BFF, and if it isn’t, it should be! Sunscreen is a year-round beauty essential, but is especially necessary when the sun’s shining a little brighter. We’re obsessed with COOLA Suncare Setting Spray SPF 30 ($36) because it actually locks in your makeup before you head out into the heat. Its weightless, matte finish is perfect for daily use.