One of the best things about traveling is eating delicious food, enjoying a glass of wine at dinner (and maybe some other alcoholic beverages while poolside) and indulging in some delicious ice cream or other dessert after dinner. It’s not easy to stay healthy while traveling, but certified nutritionist and Glitter Guide contributor, Kara Stout, is sharing 12 ways you can try. Even incorporating a few of these tips will make it that much easier to get back into a healthy routine when vacation is over.
People often get concerned about how to stay healthy while traveling or they’re worried they’re going to ruin all their efforts toward a healthy lifestyle when they travel. I’m here to encourage you that it definitely doesn’t have to be difficult, and can actually be fun and enjoyable, which is what we want, of course!
You want to try and make healthy choices as often as you can, just as you would at home. Try to remember your basic healthy-eating principles and aim for that.
I also have to say that vacation is meant to be just that—a break, a retreat, an exciting escape; a time not to worry, but to relax, enjoy your surroundings, the people you are with and the great food. Our bodies crave rest and play, and these two activities can certainly be a great addition to any weight loss efforts or to a healthy, well-balanced happy lifestyle. That’s what we are all going for, right?
In addition to these general suggestions, I wanted to share 12 summer travel tips that will keep you healthy and happy while splashing in the ocean, boating on the lake, riding bikes along the boardwork, walking the streets of Paris, eating gelato in Italy or anywhere this summer takes you!
- Pack collagen peptides and clean protein powder: You can pour these into small baggies or containers for easy packing. These will help you stay on track with your protein needs, and you can easily add them to smoothies or drinks you order out, or if you pack a blender, you can make your own smoothies with delicious local produce. You can also pack a shaker bottle to easily add filtered water or nut milk with your protein or collagen powders.
- Pack your vitamins: I like to take a high-quality multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin D3, probiotics and biotin. I also highly recommend packing Wellness Formula by Source Naturals. This is an awesome supplement to have on hand if you ever start feeling like you’re getting sick or if you do become sick while on vacation.
- Stay active: Taking long walks, finding fun local workout classes or participating in outdoor classes, like yoga on the beach, hiking or kayaking, can be great ways to stay active in an enjoyable way.
- Get in those green leafy veggies whenever you can: If you go to a good, local smoothie place, ask if they can add in some spinach or kale, order delicious salads or bowls or simply order a side green salad in addition to your meal, to try and get those greens into your travel diet.
- Pack healthy snacks: Pack snacks like raw trail mix, hard-boiled eggs, kale chips, almonds or cashews, healthy crackers, fruit for the plane and almond butter packs. You can also pack good-quality protein bars. Look for bars low in sugar, high in protein, made with whole ingredients and nothing artificial.
- Bring apple cider vinegar in a travel-sized bottle: I drink this daily in the morning either in my warm lemon water or on its own in a full glass of room temperature water. You want to add ½-to-1 tablespoon to your drink and have that first thing in the morning before eating breakfast. Staying with this routine during travel helps keep you on track with this simple, yet highly effective health tip. It boosts your immune system, can improve digestion and reduce heartburn, helps you to not overeat and boosts your metabolism. You want to choose a raw, organic, high-quality brand. I personally love the Bragg brand.
- Pack all the seeds: You don’t want to forget your small but mighty little seeds! Chia seeds, flax seeds and hemp seeds are the seeds I use on the daily. They are such an easy way to add in protein, fiber and healthy fats. You can add to any smoothies, salads, soups, bowls, meat dishes, avocado toast and more!
- Pack dandelion tea: This is the tea to have on hand just in case you ever feel bloated.
- Pack Natural Calm: This is my new favorite drink! It’s been around awhile, but because so many of my clients have been loving it, I decided to try it and now I love it, too. I now recommend it to clients, friends and family as well. The brand calls it the “anti-stress drink” and it’s a great source of calcium and magnesium. It’s good for calming the body and also for a restful night’s sleep. It can be challenging sometimes to get a good night’s sleep while on vacation, so this could help.
- Pack essential oils: I also pack lavender to help with sleeping and peppermint oil just in case I get a headache or need a refresher after the airplane ride.
- Make sure you rest, play and recharge: This is a must and a priority. This is just as important for your health as what you eat and what you do for exercise.
- Treat yourself, have fun and live in the moment: While it’s so great to make healthy choices while traveling, make sure not to restrict yourself. Get a scoop at that favorite local ice cream shop, sip on that rosé or go to that famous pizza restaurant, just make sure you enjoy with absolutely no guilt. Enjoy every bite and savor it, because a treat can definitely be a great addition to a well-balanced, happy and healthy lifestyle…and vacation!
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌