Today, Dan and Marie—the duo behind The Whaling Club—are back to share the cocktail of the month, and we’re pretty sure it’s going to make your summer infinitely better! Read on below for the delicious and Instagram-worthy cocktail that’s going to be a definite crowd-pleaser at any summer soirée this season.
Last summer, we all fell in love with frosé (frozen rosé)! Every food and lifestyle blog had a recipe for how to make this drink of summer. Now that the madness has settled, we’ve taken some time to refine the process and simplify the steps so that you can spend less time researching recipes and more time day-drinking!
In order to take our frosé to the next level, we turned to bar science genius, Dave Arnold, founder of Booker and Dax and author of Liquid Intelligence. Dave shares a technique for making frozen cocktails by pre-freezing the drink in its entirety prior to blending.
The main advantage of this ‘slushy’ technique is that the crystal structure of the water freezes in a thin, sheet-like way, creating a much smoother texture in the blender than if you were to ultimately add ice to the blender separate of any other ingredients.
For our Watermelon Frosé, we cored some miniature watermelons and put them in the freezer to use as mugs. Freezing the cored watermelon will help ensure that your frosé doesn’t absorb into the skin of the fruit.
- 1 750 millileter bottle rosé
- 4 ounces watermelon syrup*
- 2 1/2 ounces lemon juice
* To make watermelon syrup, combine equal parts sugar and fresh watermelon juice and stir until sugar is dissolved in the juice.
- Set your freezer just below freezing (about -2 F)
- Combine all ingredients in a 1 gallon Ziploc or storage bag
- Freeze for 12 to 24 hours (your frosé batch will not completely freeze due to the total alcohol by volume)
- Add the contents of your batch into a Vitamix or other home blender (you can add 1 cup at a time for single servings)
Blend on high until the ice crystals have reached a consistent texture (about 30 seconds)
- Transfer your frosé into a frozen miniature watermelon or other preferred glass
- Snap a pic for Instagram, tag @thewhalingclub and @glitterguide, and enjoy!
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌