Aside from the obvious—avoiding alcohol, smoking and taking over-the-counter medication—many women neglect to check their skincare for lurking ingredients that may not be safe to use while pregnant. It’s not necessarily the first thing you think of after you get a positive pregnancy test, but it’s so important to take inventory of what you’re putting onto your skin and thus absorbing into your body when you’re pregnant or breastfeeding. One of the biggest ingredients to avoid is retinol—the most common ingredient found in anti-aging products. Luckily, with more and more natural and clean beauty brands popping up every month, it’s easier than ever to find pregnancy-safe skincare that not only cleanses and moisturizes, but combats aging skin, dark spots and more! Today, Caitlin is sharing the list of pregnancy safe beauty products that have helped her get through her second pregnancy.
Disclaimer: Keep in mind that we are not medical professionals, so please consult with your doctor before using any products you may be nervous about using when pregnant or breastfeeding!
Hair & Body
- Juice Organics Shampoo & Conditioner: I tried these because my friend suggested them, and they are by far the best clean shampoo and conditioners I’ve used, I like both the coconut and pomegranate scents. I’ve tried many other natural, clean options and have not had great experiences, so I was really excited to find this affordable option that lathers easily and doesn’t leave hair feeling greasy or stripped! You can find them in Whole Foods, which is a bonus in my book!
- Playa Every Day Shampoo: I started using this shampoo over the summer and not only do I love the scent, but how manageable it makes my hair. I usually use this if I know I’m going to be blowing my hair dry because I love how soft and unfrizzy it leaves it.
- Alaffia Everyday Coconut Hydrating Body Wash: Finding a body wash or soap without synthetic perfumes is really, really tough! I tried a few that didn’t lather enough and one that dried out my skin. I finally found a great body wash (also affordable), and just discovered Target recently started carrying this brand, too! I also love the cause behind Alaffia. It works to empower communities in West Africa with profits from the products.
- Motherlove Pregnant Belly Salve: I’ve been using this since I found out I was pregnant. I love how easy it is to apply and the scent, but it does take a little while to absorb. I’m thinking of ordering this Nine Naturals Belly Butter that I swore by during my last pregnancy. It’s pricey, but I really love the scent and how easily it soaks into the skin.
- Oui Shave Oil: I’ve ditched my chemical-laden shaving cream for this light, silky shaving oil. It takes a little getting used to, but it leaves my legs so soft and there’s no need to apply lotion after!
- Agent Nateur No 3 Deoderant: Finally, a natural deodorant that works! I love how this stick formula glides on like the other deodorants I’m used to using and keeps me smelling fresh all day.
- Schmidt’s Geranium Deodorant: I like to alternate between deodorants, so I’ve also been using this affordable stick option. It lasts all day and smells so good!
- Primally Pure Tea Tree Deodorant: I just started using this a week ago. I love the fresh, clean scent and how it really work to combat moisture throughout the day.
- ACURE Facial Cleansing Gel: I love how this cleanser really cleans and purifies my skin. This is great for oily skin, acne-prone skin or warmer months when you’re sweating and in the heat more. I don’t use it now that the weather has cooled down because it’s a little too drying for me.
- True Botanticals Hydrating Cleanser: This is a more recent favorite. I love, love, love the super-gentle and hydrating formula.
- Honest Beauty Refreshingly Clean Makeup Remover Wipes: If I wear makeup, I always use a wipe first before I wash my face. I love the scent of these.
- Leahlani Skincare Mermaid Mask: I’ve heard rave reviews about this mask that has a cult following, and now I understand! It’s a little sticky to apply, but leaves your skin looking and feeling so refreshed, moisturized and glowing—I can’t get enough of it!
- Juice Beauty Green Apple Pregnancy Peel: Prior to being pregnant, peels were one of my favorite face products to use. I always feel like they pack the biggest punch in terms of making a noticeable difference quickly in your skin. Finding a pregnancy-safe option has been difficult, but this gentle peel from Juice Beauty smooths and calms irritated skin, and I’ll certainly be using it weekly.
Anti-Aging Face Oils & Serums
- Cecilia Wong Black Currant Serum: This is my latest obsession. I look forward to putting it on my face every night—it has the best scent and really calms my skin. Not only does it hydrate, but it minimizes fine lines and evens skintone. It’s 100-percent natural, only containing a blend of organic oils.
- Vintner’s Daughter Active Botanical Serum: This serum has a cult following and I know why. I’m on my second bottle and have been alternating with my other serums because I try to make a bottle last as long as possible. The scent alone is intoxicating—it’s strong and sticks with you for a while. It has formula of 22 organic oils designed to stimulate cell turnover, firm skin and help fight signs of aging. What I love about it? It doesn’t leave your skin greasy, but soaks in rather quickly. I use it exclusively at night and feel my skin looks refreshed (almost glowing) come morning.
- MUN Aknari Brightening Youth Serum: I LOVE this brightening serum! I use it when my skin is looking dull and dry. It really helps to wake it up and also hydrates, though I usually apply a moisturizer on top. I also love that it’s gentle enough to apply under the eyes.
- True Botanticals Deep Repair Eye Serum: I gave up on eye serums a while ago, never able to find one that actually did what I wanted, but I thought I’d give this True Botanticals serum a try. I’m so glad I did. It really hydrates the delicate area under the eyes and is packed with blackberry seed oil, which is rich in vitamin C, a pregnancy-safe anti-aging ingredient.