The holidays are the perfect time to try out some new dessert recipes to serve at gatherings or to bring to parties as a treat for the hostess and guests. This year, consider baking up a batch of super cute—and delicious—Christmas Cookie Donuts. Holistic nutritionist and Glitter Guide contributor, Kara Stout, is here with all of the details on how to make these sweet little things.
With the holidays in full swing, Christmas songs on repeat and festive decorations all around, no wonder it’s the most wonderful time of the year! Time spent with family and friends makes this season so special, and I love how cooking and baking is such a great way to show hospitality, kindness and thoughtfulness.
Speaking of baking, who wouldn’t want some homemade (and healthier!) Christmas Cookie Donuts delivered to their door? You’re looking out for their health and happiness with these festive cuties right here! I encourage you to think of a friend or family member who would love these, and bake a batch for them.
These homemade, gluten-free and dairy-free donuts are actually very quick to make—and super easy, might I add. I wanted to create a recipe that had minimal ingredients, yet was full of vanilla cookie flavor. They are naturally sweetened with honey and also provide vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and protein from the almond flour. You’ll also see I added some flaxseed for a dash of fiber for extra health and a touch of sprinkles for that extra holiday sparkle.
Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!
Christmas Cookie Donuts
Makes 8 Mini Donuts
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
Vanilla frosting options:
Homemade vanilla frosting OR organic vanilla frosting (healthier store-bought option)
Cranberry sugar glaze ingredients:
- 1 8-ounce bag organic cranberries
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Fun optional toppings:
- Bright White Sugar Sprinkles (nothing artificial and non-GMO) *P.S. They come in snowflakes, too!
- Organic Vanilla Sugar Cookie Dough
- Add dry ingredients to medium mixing bowl and mix well.
- Stir in eggs, almond milk, coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Mix all together until combined into a nice dough consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease donut pan with coconut oil really well.
- Spoon dough into each donut cavity, filling about ½ or 2/3 full. Don’t fill it completely to the top.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes. Do the toothpick test to make sure your donuts are cooked all the way, as oven times may vary.
- Let cool about 5-10 minutes. Then remove donuts from pan and continue to cool on cooling rack. *If struggling to remove donuts from the pan, use a mini spatula to go around the sides of the donuts to loosen, which should really help!
- Now have fun! Frost your donuts with either vanilla frosting and/or my homemade cranberry sugar glaze.
- To make the cranberry sugar glaze: Add water and sugar to saucepan and dissolve sugar over medium heat. Once it begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in cranberries and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes, until berries start to burst. Stir in the vanilla and cinnamon and allow to simmer about 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from stove and add to bowl to cool completely. Once cooled, refrigerate for at least an hour. Next, take cranberry sauce and blend well in blender for an easily spreadable glaze.
- Top with sprinkles and baked mini sugar cookies! I used the vanilla cookie dough listed above to make mini Christmas cookies using Christmas cookie and pie cutters. I also added a touch of edible gold dust on some donuts, too!
- Enjoy with some hot chocolate or a cold glass of almond milk while listening to “All I Want for Christmas is You” for the perfect cozy, holiday morning!